To Beawar: desert and turbans - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 14, 2016

To Beawar: desert and turbans

"I need my earplugs" Rachel says. There's a cricket in room, chirping loudly, until we turn on the light so Rachel can find the earplugs. Then quiet. There still is no water which you know what that means, no flushing the toilet. We guess maybe that is why the room had two toilets, one in a small room and another in the shower room. When ready to leave, we have to wake the guy sleeping in restaurant to unlock the gate so we can be on our way.

Yesterday, when we found the hotel, we also discussed continuing on another 30+ kms to Sojat and would have if the room had really been a dump. But we decided to stay here. The 35kms to Sojat continued the same road profile as yesterday, and there were hotels listed on google maps, so adding the 35kms to yesterday rather than today would be an option for other cyclists. After Sojat to Barr, there are plenty of guesthouses that look decent, but also like truck stops which could be noisy at night.

Today even more colorful turbans or in Rajasthan, called the pagri! The bright red, pink, yellow, orange and multi colors are a beautiful contrast to the brown rocky landscape. There are many kinds, color and styles of turbans. Each kind and color can indicate caste, social group and province. In addition to class, the color can be seasonal or indicate an occasion. The pagri being 82" long and 8" wide, serves practical functions besides protecting from the environment; it can be used as a pillow, blanket or towel.

We also saw Jain women walking on a pilgrimage, along with regularly dressed men who looked like body guards. Dressed in all white, wearing a white face mask so as not to breathe in any insects and symbolically carrying a broom to sweep any small creature out of their path. All living creatures are not to be intentionally harmed.

Past Barr, we could see the hills coming. The landscape changes dramatically and we start the climbs, until just outside Beawar the road levels with a slight downhill. We are arrive at Hotel Surya Mahal and greeted by the security guard. Patrick checks out the room. It's 1600 rupees, very nice and since tomorrow is Patrick's birthday, we decide to stay. Delicious dinner in a very modern looking restaurant.

Yes, tomorrow Patrick turns 50! Wish him a happy birthday in our guestbook.

Out of control yard decorations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cooks that fixed us a poha breakfast meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All restaurants provide free drinking water. We are careful though and stick with bottled.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #2
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hill we expect at the end of the day is coming in sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With the hills also very interesting landscape and colorful houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 103 km (64 miles)
Total: 14,494 km (9,001 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0