to Baton Rouge: through the bayou - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2017

to Baton Rouge: through the bayou

We sleep well in the little camp trailer in Dale’s man cave. The AC keeps it cool and it is quiet. After eating cereal with yogurt for the last couple of months in South and Central America we are ready for a breakfast diet change. The stove comes out to boil water and we fix hot oatmeal and coffee for something different.

After we make sure we have all our belongings we lock Dale’s cave back up and head through town towards highway 61. The shoulder starts off okay, but quickly deteriorates to a broken up mess of uneven asphalt. We ride on the road, there is light traffic and they treat us right. On both sides of the road are drainage canals with cypress trees, ferns and many birds. We see one alligator cruising along with its head above the water, and a couple of large turtles on a log. They disappear as soon as we stop though.

Our plan is to skirt Baton Rouge along the eastern side, and luckily for us there is a ”warmshowers” host on that side of town. We show up at her doorstep just after noon and are welcomed in. This area of Baton Rouge flooded with about two feet of water last August. Deborah’s house was not spared. She is in the process of remodeling and upgrading. We get a guestroom and access to internet. Deborah has spent many years in Honduras setting up family small businesses. She let us borrow her car to go to the store for supplies and to mail the old thermarests back to Cascade Designs. We grocery shop at a Super Target, and then mail the package at the Office Depot next door. The post offices in many towns have closed giving over the mailing duties to Office Depot. Rachel has a card to mail to Jo for when he is cycling the Australian Outback. The problem is Office Depot only does domestic. In the evening Deborah fixes us a nice dinner of baked chicken with dressing and gravy, vegetables and salad.

Cypress trees in the bayou.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shoulder on Highway 61 deteriorates to this. We end up cycling on the road, traffic is light and treats us right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An alligator cruising along.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stop for a second breakfast and meet a local cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 35,852 km (22,264 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0