to Barranca: last night at sea level for a while - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 12, 2017

to Barranca: last night at sea level for a while

"Senora, pronto" the man says pointing to my shoes and feet. We had taken our shoes off at the wall and walking across the sand to the water. "Caliente" Rachel says as she just starts standing on top of her shoes. Patrick has made a run for the water. The sand was hot, hot, hot. Standing in the surf was very refreshing.

An early start out of Huacho, we are on the old Pan-American highway until joining the new N1 that is a four-lane divided highway. Except one side isn't open, so the traffic is only on one side. Good for us, we consider the other two lanes and wide shoulder a great bike lane. Only a few cars also drive on the empty side. There are basically no shops on most of the stretches.

The landscape stayed the same dry barren land except for when crossing a river and there were areas of irrigated farming. Corn is being harvested by hand. And horse drawn wagons carrying crops still use the highway. We reach Barranca by noon, riding to the Plaza D'Armas. There is some ceremony going on and the roads around the Plaza are blocked by security. We park the bikes and Patrick sets off on foot to search for accommodation. He found the most expensive hotel and probably the least expensive hostel, we decide to ride toward the ocean and search some more.

Bingo! A block from the ocean we find the Hostal Costa de Oro for 55sols. The room is small but the bikes fit, hot water shower, a place on the roof to hang laundry to dry, and we are on the first floor. After cleaning up ourselves and the laundry, we head for the beach and lunch. Later after a rest, we walk back to the Plaza and found the supermercado and bakery for more goodies for the road. We enjoy one last sunset over the ocean.

Tomorrow we head into the mountains.

Bamboo poles are a major construction material around here. It must be brought in from somewhere because there is no bamboo to be seen growing around here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Transporting crop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hills to our east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hills and village to our east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Icecream salesman in Barranca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After searching several hotels, we end up staying at the Hostal Costa De Oro. One block from the beach!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the end of our street is the South Pacific Ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
People enjoying the beach. Some fog of the cool waters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large Christ statue graces the cape just south of Barranca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more Cerviche at a beachside restaurant. We don't think we will try this again once we leave the coast and head inland tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dip in the ocean. After burning our feet in the sand the cool water feels great.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaza D'Armas in Barranca. Nice flowers and many people enjoying the evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner with a view. We bought some bread, cheese and meats at the supermarket and have it right here. Can't beat that. It will be a while before we reach our next coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 27,897 km (17,324 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0