to Bang Lung: greenery and rain - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 31, 2016

to Bang Lung: greenery and rain

"So many dogs, hope it's not free range" Rachel says. We have been seeing lots of menu signs at roadside restaurants with pictures of dog and Thit Cho, or dog meat.

We are up early, back to having cornflakes and granola for breakfast. The city is already very busy with traffic, markets, and people buying fresh flowers. Along the way, we buy fresh baguettes to eat later with nutella and coffee, some of the nice side of the legacy of the French. A light drizzle starts and it rains off and on for most of the day.

After about 30 km we turn off onto a smaller road and lose most of the traffic. The road is narrower, but there is not much traffic. We are continuing to climb and lots of ups and downs and a few steeper climbs. Everything is so green and so much to see of daily life as we ride by. We start seeing the tradition wooden houses on stilts that the people of this region live in. There are rice paddies, huge bamboo groves and every inch is covered in green foliage.

Our goal is Bang Lung, it seems like a good sized town on goolemaps. As we get closer though the road deteriorates to a one lane strip of asphalt full of potholes and mud. We make it there just before the rain starts to come down hard. We find a nice guesthouse, again a 200,000 Dong room (about US$8) with wifi, hot shower and a couple of restaurants across the road.

Scraping the last little pieces of meat of this carcass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drum maker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kid strapped to her back, headed down the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some huge wood turnings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see karsts mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scenery is as green as it can get. What a contrast with Mongolia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traditional wooden houses blend in with the foliage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of short climbs today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Women herding buffalo down the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman burning rice straw. Not sure why.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rice threshing machine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another short climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 24,090 km (14,960 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0