To Bandipur: actually, we only cycled to the turn-off...... - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2016

To Bandipur: actually, we only cycled to the turn-off......

There was a heavy thunderstorm most of the night. It's been a long time since we've heard thunder and listened to rain on the roof. In the morning, the air seemed cleaner but still hazy. By pushing on yesterday, today will be a short ride in distance with a lot of ups and downs to the junction to Bandipur.

Bandipur, once a trading center on the India-Tibet trade route, is located up an 8km steep hill off the Prithvi Highway at Dumre. If the weather is clear, the view from here of the Annapurna Range can be spectacular. The decision for us is whether to cycle up, or take a ride. If we cycle up, we would take tomorrow off. If we take a ride, we will be there early enough to see the sights and we would continue onto Pokhara tomorrow and take an extra rest day there. The decision is to arrange a ride up the mountain.

To all the cyclists who have cycled the 8kms up the steep winding road to Bandipur, you have our utmost admiration and respect. Especially the Hopkins family from Australia, who cycled up with their two kids. Check out their page Hopkins Holiday in Nepal http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/15281

We stay at a guesthouse on the edge of town where the pedestrian mall begins. This is so nice to walk the main bazaar without traffic and honking. The town center feels very European with very interesting architecture.

We have no hope of getting a good view of the mountains, the air remains hazy and foggy. Even though this area is malaria free, during the night we are bothered by mosquitoes and hang up our mosquito net, and we needed ear plugs to block out the barking dog.

We will set off early tomorrow morning to get down the hill before traffic builds and back to the main road then on to Pokhara.

We cross the Trishuli River and start the uphill towards Pokhara. At this junction most of the traffic follows the river south towards India so the road becomes a little quieter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trishuli River turning south towards India.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a good thunderstorm and rain last night. The air seems cleaner this morning, but it is also foggy and humid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cucumber harvest in progress. After Patrick takes this photo the boy gives him a cucumber.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drying corn and balconies, a typical Nepali picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small buddhist temple. We cannot resist taking photos of prayer flags, they provide the perfect scene of color and curves. Patrick stopped on a steep uphill to take this picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turn-off to Bandipur. We were expecting a glut of vehicles at this junction all itching to take us up the hill. Instead we have to back-track about a kilometer to town and arrange a car.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After some negotiations we agree on 800 rupees for the 8 km drive up the mountain. Bikes go on the roof, our panniers in the back. We could have saved some money and taken a public bus for about 50 rupees each, but we would probably owe some extra money for loading and unloading of the bikes, and it is always a hassle dealing with all our luggage pieces making sure nothing gets lost in the melee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Main street Bandipur.
Heart 0 Comment 0
City plaza Bandipur. This town is car and motorcycle free and how nice it is to walk down a street with no noise or danger of getting hit. Boise, it is time for a pedestrian mall!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Staircase at one of the hotels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bandipur view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old buildings and more drying corn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small temple on mainstreet Bandipur.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bandipur seen from an adjacent hill. When it is clear there are awesome views towards Anapurna and Manaslu from here, this time of year though you have to be very lucky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View towards the west. The road up here is visible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Bandipur.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have dinner and a beer in the main plaza. It is so nice not to hear mopeds or car horns and be able to walk around without worry of getting run over, or stepping in cow patties.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 15,829 km (9,830 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0