To Azamgargh: heading north for the mountains - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2016

To Azamgargh: heading north for the mountains

"I think it's universal" Rachel says. "What?" Patrick asks. "Men and boys everywhere stop to watch large machinery operating," as we pass a crowd watching a large earth mover removing stumps. We had been seeing stumps of trees along the sides of the road, then stretches of road where big old trees still lined the road. The wood from the trees is being reclaimed and cut up in logs, probably headed to Varanasi.

Up at first light, we are on the road and out of Varanasi before the traffic gets too crazy. Since Rajasthan and moving north, there seems to be more personal cars and the drivers are becoming more aggressive. Yet, there are just as many people riding bikes as motorcycles. Schools have many bikes parked in front. One jeep pulling into a gas station had a shrouded body on the roof, heading to Varanasi and cremation by the Ganges.

We passed through lots of villages today but the nice food stalls with Poha and Potato vada are gone. Instead, shops have covered cases full of sweets. The chai was served in small clay cups and then just tossed in the street for recycling.

Arriving in Azamgargh just as the day is heating up, we search for the hotel Patrick had booked for the night. There is a map from the booking site but the hotel is not on GPS. Asking for the hotel, we are pointed in a direction and told 1km. After a long day cycling, it's such a good feeling to know that the day is almost done.

Then we get caught in a massive traffic jam, not moving at all or pushing the bike with our feet to advance through openings and then there is the non stop honking. We get to an intersection then circle back around on a more open road. Stopped by the side of the road, a man on a motorcycle stops to ask if we needed help. Patrick explains the hotel we are looking for, the man doesn't know, Patrick asks if he has a cell phone to call the hotel and he does. The hotel has a new name, Deep Continental Hotel. We end up back at the intersection where we first asked for directions. We find the hotel, check in, clean up and eat a very nice lunch in the hotel restaurant.

The sim card we bought in Kochi expires tonight. In Agra, Patrick bought a new sim card from a different provider that needs to be set up for the tablet. Patrick finds a cell phone provider that helps. So we are set up for internet for the next two days in India.

Then a new country and we need to figure out the process for Nepal.

Heading north from Varanasi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chai and sweets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Broom salesman
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buying some flowers for Rachel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large bowls are used to feed cattle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Workers are removing all the beautiful large trees from the roadsides. Possibly a road widening project coming up, but it sure makes the road a lot less pleasant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More cow patties but a different shape.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 97 km (60 miles)
Total: 15,123 km (9,391 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0