To Amritsar: Long taxi ride - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2016

To Amritsar: Long taxi ride

The sign reads, "Go slow driving school ahead", and Rachel thinks, what an interesting name for a driving school, Go Slow, in this land of fast driving and no traffic rules. Then realizes that it was " Go slow driving, school ahead". After 5 months in India, plus 1 month in Nepal, of learning to deal with the traffic from the perspective of a bike, we are now seeing it from inside a vehicle, a taxi to Amritsar. Not sure if it's better or worse.

We are up and ready for the taxi to pick us up at 4 am. We spent yesterday figuring out the ride to Amritsar by going to the central taxi stand. We walked around looking at license plates that indicate what region, thinking if we could find on from Punjab that would be easiest. Patrick asked at the ticket counter and finally connected with a driver and all arranged. Rachel has not liked the feel of the Srinagar and ready to get out.

By 4:45am, the bikes are on the roof, bags in the back and we are out of Srinagar and a few hours later see the last of the Kashmir Valley. It's a long day, slowly we leave the mountains and back to hazy skies and warm temperatures. The last stretch was a four Lane divided highway. We can't figure out if slow traffic is supposed to be in the right or left lane or which side is the passing Lane, and some just drive in the middle. We arrive in Amritsar at the Hotel Golden Sunrise by 4pm. The room is nice, friendly and helpful staff.

And we will admit that we took a bicycle rickshaw to MacDonald's for crispy McChicken sandwich.

Rice fields in Kashmir Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last view of Kashmir Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Twelve hours and about 450 km later we arrive in Amritsar. We made reservations at the Golden Sunrise Inn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0