to Alibag: Last day cycling along the coast - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 16, 2016

to Alibag: Last day cycling along the coast

We head out of town on the coastal road. A hill to begin with then rolling and the road is still beating us up. Occasionally, the road surface improves briefly then back to a variety of uneven surfaces.

Halfway to Alibag, we cross the bridge over the estuary, the road levels out but not the surface of the road, though does improve on some stretches. Traffic increases as we reach the outskirts of Alibag.

The first hotel we stop is "full" and the man waves us on down the street. Of course, we believe this is the case, he's just not wanting to deal with foreigners. Patrick says to him "do Hindus lie?"...Rachel says "bad karma". We find Hotel Hira Laxmi and Patrick checks out a room even though it's pricey. Patrick negotiates the price down and we decide to stay. It's a very nice room and a CNN partnership hotel, which means we get CNN International News, and there is security for the bikes. They have also provided us with information on how to get into Mumbai by ferry.

We walk to the beach just a few blocks away and see people walking to the Kulaba fort, possible because of the low tide. There is a Ganesh Temple in the fort that is still used. Then we take a tuk tuk to city center to find an ATM and walk back to hotel.

Tomorrow, Mumbai by ferry.

Looking back over Murud beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting building
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hindu Temple and Mosque in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found more vada!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 12,913 km (8,019 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0