to Akhaltsikhe: out of Turkey after one more hill - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2015

to Akhaltsikhe: out of Turkey after one more hill

There is a difference between downhill and losing elevation. It's supposed to be downhill to Georgia. But it's not. It's never all downhill.

We reach the border crossing, and quickly get our exit stamp from Turkey. But a wait at the Georgian side for entry. Cars are being pulled over and searched, but we finally make it through and we are in country number 12, Georgia!

We will once again meet up with Frans and Eveline. They have found a very nice hotel in Akhaltsikhe and given us directions to finding the place. This is better than a tour book! Being a day ahead of us, they are scouting out the territory ahead. The Hotel Tourist reminds us of Bali, behind the heavy wooden doors there is a courtyard with lots of plants and bamboo and grapevines creating shade.

The cycling community creates instant friends, and we have enjoyed meeting up with Frans and Eveline and though they still are a day ahead of us, we hope to see them again in Tblisi.

Leaving Posof we climb up the side of the valley with nice views across to the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Posof, one of those towns you have to stay when your biking, but then quickly forget about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice scenery though. We haven't seen this much green in the highlands of Anatolia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long line of mostly Iranian trucks waiting to cross the border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting our Turkey exit stamp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Georgian border guy takes our picture for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Serious chains on this truck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Above ground gas piping. Wonder how often this system explodes when someone hits one of those uprights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out of Turkey, done with Ramadan. There are pubs and beer with frosted glasses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Also for Rachel
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 4,624 km (2,872 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0