R&R in Instanbul: part 1: a couple days of sightseeing: the four main attractions first. - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2015

R&R in Instanbul: part 1: a couple days of sightseeing: the four main attractions first.

Istanbul was the main target destination for this first stage of our trip, even though from here we continue on to Tblisi, Georgia before flying to Africa in July. This rest time is a big break from cycling and shifting to be a tourist, there's lots to see and absorb: Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Tokapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar, and just wandering the streets, enjoying the food.

If you are a shopper, Istanbul is the place to be! "Hallo, welcome, yes please"..."Come into my shop, we have everything but customers"...."no problem with buying carpet, we have flying carpet"..."Free to look"..."Where are you from? You are a democrat, (yes) I can tell, because you are nice and friendly. Republicans are serious." (wonder how it would differ if we said we were Republicans)...

Day one we visit the Hagia Sofia. On the outside it looks massive, with huge buttresses to resist the outward thrust of the large dome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the building there is arch over arch, dome over dome. All colorfully decorated in byzantine Christian and Muslim styles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the Christian mosaics uncovered from underneath later layers of plaster.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just keep looking up at the domes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Grand Bazaar. Really too much to take in all at once, so we go back several times during our stay in Sultanahmet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Decorated ceilings and merchandise everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you can see by the tags on the spices, this market is mostly intended for the tourists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tokapi Palace: a large complex of buildings, gardens and connected halls on the far eastern point of Sultanahmet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tokapi Palace with view across the Golden Horn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Door header details. They decided to fit these stones together the hard way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Blue Mosque, called so by non-Turks because of the predominant blue tile interior.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dome over dome over dome gives a spacious interior.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First in the courtyard. Non-Muslim's can enter through a side door and observe, but cannot enter the main praying areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Photo of a photo that shows a view we won't get to see. Inside of the Blue Mosque.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0