restdays in Cartagena: there are worse places to wait for a boat - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2017

restdays in Cartagena: there are worse places to wait for a boat

We've found a nice place to take a break and prepare for the next stage, Central America. Patrick has been able to work on the timeline and maps for the route from Panama to USA to New Orleans to Boise Idaho. Home by October 14th!

In Northern Colombia on the Caribbean Sea Coast is the walled colonial city of Cartagena de Indias founded in 1533. From the UNESCO world heritage site, "The port of Cartagena – together with Havana and San Juan, Puerto Rico – was an essential link in the route of the West Indies and thus an important chapter in the history of world exploration and the great commercial maritime routes."

The historic center is entirely walkable with mostly pedestrian traffic, small yellow taxis, horse drawn carriages and no motorcyles. There are parks and squares with monuments, colorful Spanish-colonial houses with charming balconies, churches and cathedrals, and best of all, a food variety from local street food, cerviche, Subway, and upscale restaurants. The Las Bovedos, cells of the 18th dungeon now are souvenir shops. Plaza de lo Coche where slaves were sold has an outdoor restaurant and nearby a Hard Rock Cafe.

Tomorrow we plan to take the free walking tour, and hear more history. And in the evening we meet with the Boat Captain, Goeran, and find out more of what to expect on the 5 day sailing trip.

Below is a series of Cartagena Street scenes.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0