restday Sapa: visit to Cat Cat village - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 18, 2016

restday Sapa: visit to Cat Cat village

"Nothing like a good ethnic village experience running the gauntlet of souvenir shops" Patrick says.

We walk 3.5km down to the Cat Cat village and then along a stream. Behind the walkway lined with souvenir shops are the villagers houses and gardens. This was a steep walk down, so Patrick negotiates a ride on a motorcycle for each of us back up to Sapa. We feel we've earned a rest after cycling up to Sapa.

Many restaurants along offer set menus of tea or coffee, vegetable or pumpkin soup, and a main dish of pork or vegetable curry with rice. We spot one that offers free local beer in lieu of tea or coffee. Small things sometimes become the deciding factor.

In the evening we wander out in search of fresh spring rolls for dinner. Lining the road are ladies are setting up their small area with souvenirs. It's dark and many have headlamps. We think they are setting up for tomorrow's Saturday market.

Sapa church at the central square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fansipan road leads down the hill to Cat Cat village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View towards Fansipan Mountain, the tallest in Vietnam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cat Cat village is full of small tourist shops. The atmosphere is good though, people are friendly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cat Cat village does not really have a core, just spread out houses and a long stairway leading down to the river and the waterfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loom at one of the tourist shops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking down to the river between numerous shops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The river and some large bamboo waterwheels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The waterwheel lifts water in a bamboo container up to a trough.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waterfall in Cat Cat village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Villagers having lunch on a rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don't bother walking all the way back up to Sapa, a motorbike takes us up for a couple of dollars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0