Restday Mandu: Town with no tuk tuks - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 3, 2016

Restday Mandu: Town with no tuk tuks

"I'll have eggs to order, fried, and toast with preserves" Patrick says, pointing to the menu at these items. This took a couple of times saying and pointing. "I'll have eggs to order, scrambled, and toast with preserves" Rachel says, pointing to the menu. Ordering food in a restaurant is never easy when the staff doesn't speak English.

A bit later man from the kitchen comes to the table confused about the toast order, another man joins in and clarifies, yes one order for Patrick and one order for Rachel. Rachel's scrambled eggs came on top of pieces of toast...that must have been the cause of the confusion. On the menu below 'eggs to order' was 'scrambled eggs on toast.'

We started the day visiting the Jama Masjid Mosque, then having tea and cookies in the town square. A man tells us he rents bicycles and a taxi driver asked if we needed a ride. We walked to the Jahaz Mahal then back to the hotel by checkout and moved to the Malwan Retreat next door. We waited until later in afternoon to go to the Rumpati Pavilion.

There are no tuk tuks in Mandu and not sure if all the motorcycle drivers take rides, so we broke one of our cardinal rules....riding our bikes on a rest day, 5kms to the Rumpati Pavilion. We saw two other places to stay on this side of Mandu.

Tomorrow is a short day to Dhar then another 4 days to Udaipur.

Jamu Mashid, a large mosque dating back to 1406-1454
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long colonnades along a central courtyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the heart of the mosque.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hoshang's tomb, India's oldest marble building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the tomb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Workers are shaping slabs of marble and hauling them into the central courtyard for restoration work on the tomb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Jahaz Mahal or "ship palace" housed a harem of 15,000 maidens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the Jahaz Mahal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All rain water off the building is channeled to beautifuly shaped pools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A round trench is used to crush rocks to dust. It is then mixed with lime and used in restoration works.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hindola Mahal with its sloping walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cargo bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They managed to misspell gents and ladies on the public toilet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buffalo and baobab trees. This could be Africa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Baz Bahadur's Palace
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the roof of Baz Baradur's Palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rupmati's Pavilion.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 11 km (7 miles)
Total: 13,825 km (8,585 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0