restday Latacunga: There are volcanoes! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2017

restday Latacunga: There are volcanoes!

We were not planning to do a journal entry for today since this was a rest day and not much happened. But then the clouds lifted and a couple of the volcanoes showed themselves one by one.

Most of the day was spent fixing breakfast, chatting with Tony and Sarah and walking to the shopping mall on the main road. Today is election day in Ecuador, a run-off between the two candidates that performed best in the general elections a couple of weeks ago. Its between Lasso and Lenin Moreno. There is a chance things could get tense, Tony and Sarah saw a lot of police in riot gear on the street yesterday, but things are calm today.

We have lunch with Tony and a burger fast food place in the mall, Sarah is not feeling well. In the afternoon the bikes are cleaned (again). It seems like every time we clean our chains the weather turns foul and they get covered in mud again.

It stays dry but cloudy all day until the evening when the skies clear from the south and we see the summit of Chimborazo peeking over a tree covered ridge. To the southeast we can see Volcan Tungurahua and to our north the summit of Iliniza Sur peaks above the clouds. Only Cotopaxi remains hidden in dark clouds. We consider ourselves lucky that we were able to see so many of the peaks around here this time of year.

Volcan Tungurahua rising over Latacunga buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another shot of Tungurahua rising over the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Volcan Tungurahua and some amazing skies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The top of Iliniza Sur just above the clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Iliniza Sur rising above the clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chimborazo, the tallest mountain in Ecuador rises above a ridge. We skirted this mountain a couple of days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more shot of Iliniza Sur.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0