restday Karkohin: Erdene Zuu Monastery - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2016

restday Karkohin: Erdene Zuu Monastery

Our room is freezing cold overnight, the heating system obviously is not working. It takes some complaining but later in the afternoon an electric heater is provided that warms up the room nicely. Just hope it doesn’t tax the shabby electrical system too much and burns the building down.

After we have a breakfast at the café, we walk about two kilometers to the Erdene Zuu Monastery. From a distance it is a large square enclosure, about 300 by 300 meters square, with 108 stupas placed at regular intervals on its walls and entrance gates in the middle of all four walls. Coming through the main entrance gate it is a bit startling to see a large grassy area with only a few buildings within the enclosure. The monastery was founded in 1586 and at one point had over 100 temples, 300 Gers and over 1000 monks within in walls. The communists destroyed most of it in the 1930’s and most monks were shipped off to Siberia. Now there are three old temples left inside a secondary enclosure, a monastery and several newer looking stupas and temples. It is the most important Buddhist religious place in Mongolia and people come here from all over the country.

We spent a couple of hours walking around, answer the call of the conch shells which the monks blow on to get people to the monastery. We sit inside for a while as monks chant their verses and drink their fermented mare’s milk.

Just outside the monastery enclosure is a large historic area where one of the sons of Genghis Khan established the capital of the Mongol empire for a period of time. All that remains now, above ground that is, are the “turtle rocks” which indicated the four corners of the city. Patrick walks out to one of them to get some photos.

The rest of the afternoon is spent trying to stay warm. Once we get the electric heater things look up, but all in all our stay at Jim’s Guesthouse is not that comfortable. Pierre has spent another restday here and decides to ride out towards Ulaanbaatar with us tomorrow.

Roofs of the old temples inside the monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the monastery enclosure: a lot of grass and temples off to one side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The secondary enclosure with old temples.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting looking fence, a new stupa and the monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ger and stupa inside the monastery enclosure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monks blowing the conch shells indicating prayer is about to start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The monastery itself. Here the monks gather to chant their payers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gathering at the monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Column capital with lots of wood carving at the monastery entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prayer wheels around the monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A newer temple inside the main enclosure. In the background is the enclosure wall with its 108 stupas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mani stone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wood panel paintings on the old temples. Only three old temples survived the communist purges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside one of the old temples.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roof details on the old temples. Supposedly there are no nails used to assemble these buildings. Patrick guesses they used many boxes of staples to install all the chicken wire under the eaves to keep the pigeons off their nice woodwork.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wood lattice at old temples.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wall paintings. Horses and yaks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turtle rock indentifying one of the corners of the old capital.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick walking along the enclosure wall on his way back from the turtle rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0