restday Huamachuco: town of the large hats - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2017

restday Huamachuco: town of the large hats

The main thing, except for eating and resting, that we do on this restday is walk down to the market. A very colorful affair with just about everything for sale. The people are very friendly, and although not everyone wants their photo taken we get some nice shots of the large hats the local people wear.

This is the first market where we see guinea pigs (cuy) for sale. We've seen cuy on the menus but have yet to give a taste as far as we know. In 1999-2000, when cycling through Bolivia, we stayed with a family and saw a guinea pig running around the kitchen and then we didn't. We think that was our dinner. Guinea pigs have been domesticated for food since 5000BC and continue to be a delicacy. Interestingly, the guinea pig also fits into folklore medicine using the animal to diagnose diseases. The Spanish English, and Dutch traders turned the guinea pig into pets.

The large white hats are typical in this region. We ask to take some photos of a hat seller and he invites us to try some on. It is obvious these things need some time to shape to your head. Great sun and rain protection though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hat seller in Huamachuco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful fruits and vegetables in the market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman peeling garlic in the Huamachuco market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of nice fruit and vegetables for sale in the Huamachuco market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peru is not the right place to be a guinea-pig.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy selling all kinds of potatoes in the Huamachuco market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of nice fruit and vegetables for sale in the Huamachuco market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selling bread in the Huamachuco market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait of the bread lady.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making sandals from old tires.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All kinds of beans for sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not everybody has cellphones yet. Here a payphone in the Huamachuco market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dog getting a ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huamachuco Plaza des Armas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huamachuco Plaza des Armas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0