restday: Homestead National Monument - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2017

restday: Homestead National Monument

A much needed rest day today after cycling since Jefferson City and we appreciate Carol and Mike letting us stay another day. Mike fixed a great breakfast to get the day started. They have a beautiful garden and we saw a Baltimore Oriole at the feeder.

In the afternoon a highlight and something we would have missed otherwise since off the route, the Homestead National Monument outside Beatrice.

We first watch a twenty minute video that is very well done telling the story of the settlement by homesteaders and the Indians who were the original settlers. Between 1785 and 1853, through varies acts such as the Louisiana purchase, acreage was added to the public domain. In 1862, President Lincoln signs the Homestead Act that offers 160 acres of public land to every homesteader mainly in the Great Plains states. Daniel Freeman was the first to file a claim in Nebraska. In 1866, Congress extended homesteading to public lands in the south-Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas. Later in 1889, Oklahoma opens homesteading with "land grab" to stake claims.

And as the land claims are staked, the Indians become displaced.

That's all that most articles about the Homestead Act usually say about the effect on the Native Americans. The land was not empty, there were estimated 40-50 million Natives. People who did not understand the concept of private ownership of land.

Who are the homesteaders? Twenty five thousand Europeans immigrants, mostly German. By the turn of century, two million Anglo Americans, Swedes, Italians, Danes, Finlanders, Hollanders,Icelanders, Hungarians, Russians, Bohemians, Poles, and Ukrainians. Seeking "free land" and civil freedom and independence. Perhaps because of this history, some people think the Federal government is in a land grab and wants public lands returned to the states.

After viewing the displays, we go back to town and stop at a Dairy Queen for ice cream. In the evening, Mike grills a good Nebraska steak for dinner.

A very good day, back on the road tomorrow.

Doing some bike maintenance in Wymore with Mike watching.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carol in her beautiful garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carol's mantra is the bicycle tortoise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pamphlets in the Homesteader museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Indians were the ones to lose out in the Homestead Act.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Homesteaders putting up a "warmshowers" bicycle tourist?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old photo at the Homesteader museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Homestead cabin corner detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Homestead cabin corner detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the homestead cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty nice homestead cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carol and Mike at the Nebraska cutout. The size of the cutout shows the percentage of the state that was opened up for homesteaders.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Solar eclipse quilt at the homestead education center.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Check out that saw! Wonder if it really worked as advertised.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old photo at the Homesteader museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0