restday Bao Lac: mostly resting - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 6, 2016

restday Bao Lac: mostly resting

Today is a much needed rest day after the up and down hills at 10% grades.

Rest days are for housekeeping type things to do and of course laying on the bed watching "how things are built" on the Discovery Channel.

First on the list was laundry, then we went out for two other errands. Rachel has had a conjunctival cyst on her left eye and it is becoming worrisome that it might get infected. So we went on search for the hospital, finding it was one thing, figuring out the system was another. Wandering around the complex where mostly women with children were waiting, a woman wearing a mask finally looked at us. Rachel indicated she needed eye drops and was shown to another woman that looked like a doctor. At least this person wrote out a script for antibiotic drops and pointed us in the direction of the pharmacy. We find the pharmacy and hand in the script, the woman gets on the phone as she is looking for what is on the script, then hands us two Chloramphenicol bottles. The whole process cost 5000 or 20 cents.

The second errand was Rachel getting a haircut. Every small village we've ridden through has a "toc", a hair salon. Haircuts can always be risky when communication is difficult, but this was a very nice cut. Most of times hair is wetted with spraying water before being cut. This time, Rachel laid down on a table like a massage table with head over a sink, hair washed. The washing was done by one guy, hair cut by another guy, and dried by another...all for only $4.

Wandering around the market, we scope out where to eat later and buy some supplies for tomorrow. The next few days we expect to be beautiful, hilly and hopefully towns to replenish supplies.

Mushrooms at the market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buying more fruit. After Mongolia we take advantage of all this fresh fruit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More mushrooms for sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mushrooms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Earlier today Patrick tried to buy some of the green citrus fruit. The lady made a puckered face and steered him to the sweeter yellow variety. On our second round we buy more fruit from her and have a laugh about the sour-face look.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Choco-pies are everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0