Rest day at the Butterfly Space: buying souvenirs..... - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2015

Rest day at the Butterfly Space: buying souvenirs.....

"Twenty one years ago cycling through Malawi I bought a table and regretted that I didn't buy the Malawi Chairs" Patrick says. Up until now, we have bought very few souvenirs due to the difficulty in carrying until mailing them home.

Yesterday afternoon, we had walked to town and stopped into Kelvin's One Love shop. Today, Patrick went back and negotiated a price for a table and two chairs. Kelvin will package and ship for us. We were able to add to the package the few other things we wanted to send home.

The three table legs are carved out of one piece of wood. The table top is two sided with one side the african board game Mancala. Kelvin says he will include the marbles and instructions. When we've watched the locals play, it all looks very complicated, yet somewhat similar to backgammon. This will be a challenge to learn how to play. Kelvin threw in a "gift" of a wooden bowl and salad servers. We are hoping it's because of the PR we will give him or that we paid too much for the table and chairs. (Edited at the of trip: the package never arrived)

The rest of the day is relaxing. There is a book exchange, something that used to be so common and the first that we have found, so we finish the books we are reading and pick up new ones. Our exchanged books are quickly picked up by the other backpackers at the lodge. Books have gone to the wayside with Kindles.

Lake side bar and terrace at the Butterfly Space
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kelvin is a good business man. We buy a table and two Malawi chairs from him. He will package the whole deal up and ship it to Boise for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fresh popcorn! Check out the guy's shirt!
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over Nhkata Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach at our Lodge. Unfortunately the Lake has bilharzia, and even though most backpackers either just risk it, or take the medicine after they leave, we decide not to take chances and stick with cold showers to cool off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
....or a cold beer on the terrace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0