Home to Ossendrecht: Goodbye Pad Thai, Hello kroketten! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 22, 2017

Home to Ossendrecht: Goodbye Pad Thai, Hello kroketten!

As the Ukrainian airplane starts to taxi, many people cross themselves. Once in the air and the seatbelt light is turned off, Patrick says "I've never been on a flight where so many people go to the toilet." There was so much activity! Just about everyone on the plane lined up for the toilet. It's an older plane, there is no entertainment center, no videos, no music. Free drinks are juice or water, coffee 2 euros. We do get two meals that were fairly good.

The first flight to Kiev is 11 hours. As the wheels touchdown in Kiev, there is a polite applause from the passengers. We are reassured that we will make our connection to Amsterdam, with the delay the transfer time was down to 30 mins.

The day was an early start. Krasin had arranged with a friend of his who had a truck to take us to the airport. As we load the truck, many of the neighbors stop by to watch and say goodbye. This is Sunday, so the ride goes quickly because of the light traffic. Unloaded at the airport, we have a few hours wait until check-in. Finally time, we find the Ukrainian counter at the very end of the terminal. After check-in, the bikes are dropped off at the oversized baggage area, we go through immigration and security and wait for boarding.

The transfer is a bit hectic. The airline people greeting us to help with the transfer, just waved in the direction we needed to go. One more security check and then on a bus to take us to the plane. We made it, but will the luggage?

All of the luggage arrived quickly on the conveyor belt, except for one of the back pannier bundles. Patrick goes to the claim office, fills out the necessary paperwork then we are through immigration. We are greeted by Frans and Petra, and on the way to Ossendrecht for family visits and a two week break from cycling.

Loading up the bike at Krasin's for the early ride to the airport
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's been a long days night...arriving in Amsterdam
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frans and Petra pick us up...all the luggage arrived except for one set of tied-together back panniers. They missed the connection in Kiev but will be safely delivered in Ossendrecht two days later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Church in Ossendrecht from our window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0