day three in Jaipur: pink city bazaar - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 22, 2016

day three in Jaipur: pink city bazaar

After our cornflakes and museli breakfast at our usual early time of 7am, we wait until 10 am to go out since most activity doesn't start until then. We walk to an alley in the next street to catch a tuk tuk to the C'est Bon bakery to have second breakfast. Rachel's stomach is still quesy in spite of sleeping all day yesterday trying to shake off the bug.

Today we just wander around the streets of the old town, taking in the sights, sounds and smells of India. We get directed to a side street where the silver and bangles are made. A man asks Patrick where he is from that he doesn't recognize Patrick's accent. He is surprised when Patrick says America... Then Patrick explains he was born in Holland and his accent is combination of Dutch and American. Eventually stopping at the Indian Coffee Cafe for lunch before taking a tuk-tuk back to the hotel.

Originally, we planned to stay this third day then because we'd been warned to be off the road because of the Holi celebration we were going to stay a fourth day. Only to find out that the celebration starts tomorrow but the paint throwing is the following day. Holi is a religious holiday celebrated by Hindus all over the world. Known as the "festival of colors" celebrating the arrival of spring and good over evil by throwing colored power and splashing water on everyone.

And we would be a target.

Abandoned tuktuk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheel builder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who needs 48-spoke phil wood hub wheels when you can add these wooden spokes to your bike?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful brooms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apples and cowdung patties. One is to eat, the other to stoke your cooking fire. We wonder if we could use them in the bbq.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selling powdered colors for Holi. This will be mixed with water and thrown on others tomorrow. Some powders are toxic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are shopping for some cableties and wirenuts. Wondering what the cow wants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pink city street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful cloth
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vegetables on a pushcart headed down the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steet mayhem. Half these people are honking their horns now, the other half will honk a second later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0