Day 8: Sesriem: Sossusvlei sand dunes - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 27, 2015

Day 8: Sesriem: Sossusvlei sand dunes

Today is a public holiday in Namibia, Election Day, so we are uncertain if shops will be open. At Solitaire, the only thing closed to selling was Beer. Namibia has close regulation of selling alcohol, not sold on Sundays or after 5pm unless affiliated with a restaurant.

The drive from Nambib Park to Sesriem takes us through the Kuiseb Canyon and we take a break at Solitaire where there is a guesthouse, camping, restaurant and bakery. We arrive at Sesriem Campground early. Sesriem is thought as the gateway to the sea of sand dunes of Sossusvlei.

We set up camp and then head for the pool to cool off and wait a bit before exploring the park. The temperatures have remained in the upper 90s (F).

First, we go to Sesriem Canyon where the water of Tsauchab comes down from the Naukluft Mountains and dug out the canyon. The name of the site in Afrikaans, "six belts" which when placed end to end made it possible for the colonists to draw water from the bottom.

Then we headed out the road toward the sand dunes on a tar road. The last 4kms to the Sossusvlei pan and dunes is soft sand. Even with a 4x4 vehicle halfway we turned back, it was late in the afternoon with no one else around and the risk of getting stuck was high. We have to be back in the campground 1 hour after sunset when the gate is closed.

We make our way to the Elim Dune that is only 10 minutes from the camp and a recommended place to go for sunset.

Total distance: 250 kms gravel road

Mirabeb Campsite around the Red Rock on the left, Thanksgiving Day, our last night sleeping in the Tropics...for awhile.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Solitare is at a crossroads and a little oasis with restaurant and bakery
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pool at the Sossusvlei Park Campground
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from Elim Dune for the sunset
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oryx on the sand dune
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wind carries the dust off the dunes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0