Day 2: Windhoek to Etosha, Namutoni Camp: first driving day - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 21, 2015

Day 2: Windhoek to Etosha, Namutoni Camp: first driving day

"Ten kms go a lot quicker" Patrick says as we are now driving toward Etosha National Park. By the end of day, we drove 550kms, cycling would have taken a week or more! Then we would have made arrangements for a safari through the park, as motorcycles and bicycles are not allowed.

By the rules of our contract with the car rental agency, we are not allowed to be on the road after sunset except in a town. The park gate also closes at sunset, so when we arrive at the Namutoni Gate, we quickly find a camping spot, then head out on a safari! Just outside the gate going in we were up close and personal to a white rhino, the late afternoon safari was not disappointing.

This is the first safari we've been on without a guide and we did pretty good at finding and spotting animals!

For cyclists: the road is like all Namibian roads, no shoulder. Between Windhoek and Otavi (117 km) there are farms at 30, 52 and 65 or 70 kms, but off the main road. At Etunda,and 82 kms, there is a gas station and at 110 kms a hotel 3 kms off. The road follows the RR and is flatter and straight.

Next town, Tsumbe is 62 kms, has camping, spar grocery and there is a Backpacker hostel offering safari to the park.

The next 96 km stretch, there is camping, B & B guesthouses some off the main road.

Total distance: 540 kms tar road

We rented a vehicle to be able to see more of Namibia in the time we have. Early morning we head north out of Windhoek about 550km towards Etosha.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Right inside the park gate we see a white rhino grazing by the side of the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Elephants at a watering hole.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Gemsbok, one of the prettiest antelopes, is common in Namibia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the more curious giraffes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Giraffes at a drinking hole. This is the dry season in Etosha and animals are most often found near the watering holes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Watering hole on the edge of Etosha pan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Springbok, the most common small antelope in Etosha.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another watering hole. We pretty much drive from one to the next hoping to see wildlife.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0