Capetown days between Christmas and New Years: City and Table Mountain - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 29, 2015

Capetown days between Christmas and New Years: City and Table Mountain

"That's alot of dogs" Patrick says. We are dog sitting for Amanda N. so she can have Christmas with her family. Gives us an opportunity to pay back all the help Amanda has given us. We also come over in the mornings to let her walk the dogs in shifts.

The tablet screen broke on Christmas morning. The priority now is trying to get this fixed in between doing the touristy things. Not good timing with Christmas and then Boxing Day (the day after Christmas historically when the servants had the day off) followed by Sunday with many shops closed.

On Boxing Day, we went to city center and walked around Bo-Kaap area the Fort of Good Hope. Most shops were closed so no luck finding a repair shop. In Tableview at the Bayside Mall, we finally found a Pakistan Cell phone repair shop that seems promising, as they're very resourceful.

There was a trifecta of a Holiday, Tourists, and a beautiful day on a Sunday, when we decided to go to Table Mountain. We took the MyCiTi bus to Civic Center and transferred a bus to Kloof Nek, then a free shuttle bus to the Cablecar Terminal. This was the easy part. We stood in the line with no tickets two hours! and the Cablecar ride is 10 minutes. The view was spectacular and we walked around for a bit enjoying the day.

Since being in Capetown we've gone to two movies. Last week we saw the new Star Wars movie in 3D. Last night we went to see the new James Bond Movie, Spectre. Not to give the plot away, there was a scene showing Capetown.

Today is a full day, with dental appointments, picking up the tablet (hopefully), meeting up with a friend from England who was a Warmshowers guest of ours a few years back and participate in the Dragon Boat Races.

Tomorrow is our last day in Capetown. The bikes are in boxes, gear organized and packed for the flight. A shuttle arranged for a ride to the airport.

Downtown Capetown steet scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bo-kaap, the colorful malay muslim area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Co-kaap with Table Mountain in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Dutch build Fort of Good Hope in the 1600s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the fort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take the cable car up the mountain, even though there are plenty of hiking options. It's not always necessary to do things the hard way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cable car floor rotates so everybody gets a view at the open window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On Table Mountain looking South towards the cape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road we cycled a couple of days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cablecar headed back down.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 1 km (1 miles)
Total: 10,910 km (6,775 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0