Bethany Hotel in Kibuye: Two days of R&R - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2015

Bethany Hotel in Kibuye: Two days of R&R

"We even have to climb hills walking from the restaurant to our room!" Rachel says...after another excellent meal!

We needed these two rest days and we are at a beautiful spot with great food, it's like a vacation. Chores done the first day was laundry...it's so humid here that it might take two days to dry. The clothes are so dusty and dirty, it takes Rachel two pre-washes before the actually washing and then two to three rinses. Then we walk into "town" to what maybe is the town center to shop for supplies for the ride to Kigali.

Today, Patrick cleaned the bikes from the Congo Nile Trail. Rachel filtered water. But mostly we lounged in the room reading and looking at route options. We need an alternate route from Rwanda around Burundi since Burundi isn't safe at the moment.

The goal is to be at Kigoma in order to catch the MV Liemba ferry https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/MV_Liembathe on Lake Tanganika to Kasanga. The boat leaves every two weeks on Wednesdays, so we need to be there a few days earlier to buy tickets.

Did we mention that the restaurant here serves excellent food! We've had pizza, hamburger, curried chicken, chicken with peanut sauce, tilapia with a lemon butter sauce, roasted potatoes. The breakfast buffet including toast! rolls, eggs, porridge, sausages, potatoes, fruit juice and fruit....and...wait for it....good coffee! Including the beautiful scenery of Lake Kivu.

Makes it hard to leave but we will be on our way again tomorrow.

Bethany Hotel is located on a peninsula in Kivu Lake, just outside of Kibuye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Bethany Hotel from across a bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
The restaurant is excellent and has outside seating overlooking the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cleaning the Congo Nile Trail mud off our bikes just outside our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over Kivu Lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0