Ashvem Beach: 30k's and a beer before noon - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 4, 2016

Ashvem Beach: 30k's and a beer before noon

"We have to go down a one way street the wrong way for just a bit" Patrick explains as we leave the guesthouse to catch the ferry across the Mandovi river to Betim. "I don't think there is wrong way, people go the way they go to get where they want to get" Rachel says referring to how there are no rules of the road here.

Today requires stopping for many checks of the GPS as the road junctions with many one way roads to the beaches. The northern beaches seem to cater to an older richer crowd with many fancy Spa and Resorts all along this stretch of road. We stop for a coconut water drink at a stand that is parked by the Hilton Resort. He wanted 40 rupees that we know is too much so we ride on finding another seller that is asking 30 rupees. When we start seeing more motorbikes with tourists, we know we are getting closer to beaches again. Ashvem beach is just one of many in Northern Goa past Siolim.

There is no lack of options for accommodations. We saw one recommended accommodation at the point where the road comes closest to the beach. This one was full, no worries, a man walks us closer to the beach to his place, Sunways cottages. For 1500 rupees ($22), we have a thatched hut, big room with a fan, hot shower and very close to the white sandy beach. After settling into the room, we go have a mango lassi in the restaurant.

After lunch at a restaurant a few places down the beach, we sit on the beach lounge chairs enjoying the early afternoon. This area is much more quieter with fewer people strolling along the beach.

Rachel's bike gears still need some adjustment. Today's ride only had one steeper hill, and she couldn't get into the granny gear. Patrick works on the bike in the garden outside our cottage.

Nothing more to do but relax and enjoy the view of the Arabian Sea.

The ferry from Panjim across the river to Betim. A nice way to leave the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a hazy humid morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every town in Goa seems to have a prominent Catholic church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Break for some coconut water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have an early lunch of prawn nasi goreng and tiger prawns in butter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Relaxing on the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thatched bungalows with hot water and only 50 meters off the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset at Ashvem Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everything lined up just perfect for this shot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 12,384 km (7,690 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0