another restday: hike in the "Sachsische Schweiz" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2015

another restday: hike in the "Sachsische Schweiz"

In every cycling trip we've done, there are highlights that stand out that are very special. We have been lucky to have had a highlight so early in our journey. Tine and Jorg has made the beginning of this trip so very special.

We have changed our route plans to Litomerice. Tine and Jorg belong to a mountaineering club that has a cabin in Reinhardtsdorf. The bikes are loaded on top of their car and the gear in back. We say goodbye to Tommy, Tine's brother, who we knew from their 2010 ski expedition in Idaho. Tine's dad Bernie had also been on the 2010 trip but we missed seeing him.

We drive through the countryside, weaving between Germany and Czech Republic up to a high point around a lake and finally to the Elbe River. We will follow the Elbe river bike path tomorrow to get to Litomerice.

Tine and Jorg takes us on a great hike in the Sachsische Schweiz. Then too soon it was time to say goodbye to them. We had a great 3 days!!

Breakfast at Tine and Jorg. Wooden cutting boards are our plates.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jorg's beer cellar. The old part of the house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two for the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With Tine and Jorg and Tine's brother Thomas. The bikes are loaded on their car for about 100km drive to the east and the Sachsische Schweiz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Elbe River we cross on a small pedestrian ferry, and hike up into the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This area is protected as a National Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These sandstone cliffs and towers draw climbers to this region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Only the towers can be climbed now, the cliff faces are protected from further damage. On top of each tower is a book where everyone that makes it can write down their name.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spring has sprung along the Elbe River. The beech and birch trees are getting some green in them. It is noticeably warmer at this lower elevation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Food and a beer at the end of our hike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The attic of the climbers hut can sleep many people. Imagine this place on a warm summer evening with maybe 30, 40 or 50 smelly climbers and their gear..... Tonight we have the place to ourselves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0