Agra: Catching the night train - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 29, 2016

Agra: Catching the night train

"I have separation anxiety" Rachel says as we leave our bikes at the railway station. We are catching the night train today but have taken the bikes this morning to make arrangements for taking them onto the train. What a process that was!

First stop was the information desk who sent us to the parcel office. The parcel office sent us to the cloak room. Here is where the paperwork is done for the bikes, including a copy of Patrick's passport and the fee of 290 rupees collected. Forty minutes later, we are back to the parcel office for the seats to be wrapped and bikes tagged with train number.

It's nice that's this was done early, now we won't need to be back for the train until an hour before it leaves, around 730 PM. We decide to go back to Subway for lunch.

"I know Subway" a tuk tuk driver interrupts us talking to another driver who didn't seem to know where this was located. The fee negotiated, we go with him, sitting in his Tuk Tuk he tries to get us to take longer tour "No, Subway" Patrick says several times. He finally pawns us off onto another driver who picks up another passenger who tries to get us to go to his restaurant. "No, Subway" Patrick says once again. We are delivered to the Subway and have a repeat of yesterday's lunch. There are two people who come in after us we recognize are also staying at our guesthouse.

We had paid for the room for today before deciding to take the train, but it's nice not to have to checkout. Gives us a comfortable place to hangout, to relax and not having to store our gear somewhere.

A tuktuk will take us back to the train tonight. We will post an update tomorrow about how this all went and what riding on an Indian train is like.

At the Fort Agra Railway station. It isn't as crowded as you would expect. Once we find a helpful guy we are guided through the process.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doing things like checking in bikes on a train in India is a process, as it would be everywhere. The problem is that in India such process typically takes several steps and maybe an unexpected turn. Made more complicated if you don't speak the language, or have trouble understanding their English. People generally are very helpful though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The guy at the cloak room steps us through the paperwork and directs us to drop-off the bikes at the parcel office so the seats can be wrapped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back at the parcel office. Next time we'll see these bikes will be Varanasi. We hope.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
The station is a lot busier in the evening. Most long distance trains run at night, probably because of the daytime heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The most luxurious sleeper cabins on this train. We are supplied clean sheets, pillow, a blanket and towel. There is AC which keeps the temp nice and the windows closed. No bugs!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 15,020 km (9,327 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0