A week in Ossendrecht: travel and bike assembly - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2015

A week in Ossendrecht: travel and bike assembly

"Go fast enough to get there, but slow enough to see" - Jimmy Buffett

Just like that....after months and months of planning, the door closes on one reality of home and a new reality of the road begins.

Tuesday morning March 24, Bob picks us up at 530am and takes us, our bikes and gear to the airport to fly from Boise to Houston to Amsterdam. What a great friend!! Long trips are made easier with the support of great friends. Bob will take care of our finances, our neighbor Jeremy help watch over the house. House sitters and cat overseers (there will now be 7 cats in the house)Celeste & Jesse will move into our now empty house later today.

And just like that.....we are off again to cycle.

Bob drops us off at the airport "in the middle of the night".
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the airport with all our stuff. If you ever fly United with bikes make sure you print off the United bike regulations. After already charging $200 per bike the check-in lady wanted to hit us up for excess weight charges. The whole ordeal took about 30 minutes until she found that the computer system would not add costs for bikes heavier than 50#. Not so "friendly skies" here!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We meet our first fellow cyclists in Houston. Johanna and Isabel just cycled 3 months in South America with a Dutch friend who is cycling from Ushuaia to Alaska.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our bikes show up in a luggage cart plane-side in Houston.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The clouds break just long enough to see the Dutch North Sea coast cross underneath us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bikes seem to have survived another plane trip. Patrick's rear wheel needs a little true-ing, but nothing serious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bikes re-assembled
Heart 1 Comment 0
Patrick's HSA colleagues gave us each a personalized Idaho license plate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0