a day in Panama City: walking around the Old Quarter - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2017

a day in Panama City: walking around the Old Quarter

"Tarjeta" (card), the older man in the front seat says to us. We've boarded a bus to go to the Alderwood Mall to look for a new camera for Rachel. The staff at the hostel told us the fare will be a quarter. The bus driver doesn't accept the coin, and just stares at us completely unhelpful when Patrick asks where to get a card. We thank him profusely for his kind help and return to the hostel.

We've heard from others the Panama people were not as friendly and helpful as in Colombia. This has also been our first impression, yesterday the bus conductor also was not very helpful in loading everyone's gear. Now this. The woman behind the desk at the hostel when we return makes up for it though by giving us her metro card to use. Back we go to the bus stall and this time we are successful boarding. The mall is the same mall we were dropped off to yesterday. It is opposite the huge transportation center for the metro buses and the subway.

The mall is huge and convoluted as this city's streets. We wander around looking for a camera store only finding technical stores that sold just about everything including washers and refrigerators. Finally we locate one that has a few selections of Sony cameras and helpful staff! We found the next version of the Sony camera that Rachel has been using which is great because the extra batteries we have will still fit. After lunch at Subway in the mall we make our way to the metro subway and go to the Casco Viejo, Spanish for Old Quarter.

This historic area was declared a UNESCO world heritage site in 1997. Panama City was first settled in 1519 and lasted until the Governor set it on fire in 1671 when the pirate Harry Morgan attacked. The area was rebuilt in 1673. We wander around looking at the streets and churches and seeing how the area is being restored. We took a taxi back to the hostel, rested a bit before heading out to a supermarket and dinner of tacos.

Tomorrow, back on the bikes. We will need to navigate out of the city and over the Bridge of the Americas and hopefully have great views of the Panama Canal.

Street sweepers making their rounds in the Old Quarter. Notice the pigeon house in the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting architecture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mural in a sidestreet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street people hanging out in a Plaza.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see a lot of maintenance work being done in the Old Quarter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice looking church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jesus with real hair!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice looking organ in the attic with rafters above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Protecting the ships?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Window detail in the Old Quarter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lot of derelict old buildings have been gutted with only the exterior and a few interior walls left standing. Looks like there are plans to construct new insides but work has been halted. We see this in many spots around the Old Quarter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical and depressing looking apartments in Panama City.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0