Day Four: Back to Canyon City - Racpat Old West Scenic Bikeway 2018 - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2018

Day Four: Back to Canyon City

Ending too quick

"Do you have a blog?" the woman cyclist says as she sat down at the table next to us. "Yes, Racpat RTW" Rachel replies. "I followed you!" she says. Lori is cycling from Salem Oregon to Missoula to join an Adventure cycling Group cycling to Denali National Park. (Addendum: she followed us on that other site, the journal Racpat RTW is now on cycleblaze.com)

We cycled the 2 miles from the campground to Austin Junction cafe for breakfast.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are other cyclists pulling in and we discover they are part of the Trans Am Race. The rest of the day back to John Day, we see trails of cyclist. We set off to tackle the last hill, Dixie Summit at 5277 elevation. Jerry again is going for a ride and we plan to wait for Jerry at the top. We wait, and Jerry arrives under his own power.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The next rendezvous is on the downhill at the Conestoga Wagon Viewpoint since Jerry is much faster than us on the downhill. A final group shot followed by a downhill into Prairie City with great views of the Strawberry Mountains. We stop for a coffee and cup of soup before the last 13 miles to John Day. This last stretch though basically flat is brutal with a headwind. Jerry is not far behind after we arrived back to his house. There is one attraction in John Day that we will forgo this time. That is a tour of the Kam Wah Chung State Heritage Site a 19th Century general store for Chinese immigrants. 

We say our goodbyes to Jerry and set off for the drive back to Boise once again stopping in Vale for dinner at Chevalitas. A great 4 day ride.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back to Jerry's house in Canyon City
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 177 miles (285 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis is such wonderful cycling country. We lived in John Day for a month in 2020 after Covid broke out and biked many of these roads.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago