Day 14: Marrakesh to Tiglatine - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 1, 2023

Day 14: Marrakesh to Tiglatine

We can see the mountains!

“Where did these clouds come from so fast. I’m glad we saw the mountains this morning,” Patrick says as we take a coffee break about 18km from Marrakesh. As we left the city, we have great views of the Atlas snow covered Mountains. We’ve been on a flat hill at about 1% grade since leaving the city. With an early start we left the city while the traffic was fairly light.

Early morning breakfast in Marrakesh. The street sweepers are busy.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 14 Comment 0
Navigating out of the city
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moroccans love round abouts
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Andrea BrownSadly, this is so often the case.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After the first coffee break the next 18km the grade became a 2% flat hill. Then there is a short steeper section and we stop for another break in a small town. We have mint tea at a cafe. This time the big sprig of mint is already in the tea glass.

  After another 10 kilometers we stop at a truckstop where we buy some juice. The incline has increased now and we are gaining altitude. Our goal for today is an “auberge” in Toufliht just at the top of the first part of the mountain pass. We have seen in several other cyclists’ blogs that they were able to stay there. We make it to the next truckstop where we finish the juice. Anytime we do something that seems uncivilized, the locals help out. The waiter at the truckstop restaurant sees us drink from the juice box quickly brings two glasses. 

First break with coffee, baguette with nutella
Heart 6 Comment 1
Andrea BrownThose chairs are pretty cool, honestly. A nice variation on the standard red plastic stacking chair.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Patrick picks up pastries for a break later
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We have about 10km to go, but the going gets tough. About 5km further up we pass a nice looking hotel and we decide to check it out. While Patrick checks out the hotel room, Rachel sits down on the steps. A woman with the hotel brings out a chair for her to sit upon. The room is fine, there is an attached bathroom and there is hot water. The guy is painting the outside of the building and the restaurant looks not quite open, but they confirm they can fix us Tajines for 50Dh each. With 200Dh for the room that is not a bad deal at all. We are about 5km short of our goal, but only about 2km up before a short downhill. Then the start of the main climb up to the pass.

We settle into our room. There is no heat and it will probably get cool at night here.

Heart 6 Comment 0
After dinner where Rachel is shivering, we are brought another blanket.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
View from the Hotel balcony
Heart 15 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 439 km (273 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 17
Comment on this entry Comment 0