Planning, Organizing and Mailing the boxes of Supplies - Racpat Bailed out of Great Divide 2022 - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2022

Planning, Organizing and Mailing the boxes of Supplies

We have the checklist almost ticked off. Panniers are packed. The food/supply boxes have been organized and mailed to contacts (WS hosts, Hostels, and Motels): Silver City, Grants, Abiquiu, Del Morte, Salida, Pinedale, and Island Park. We have the list of what is in each box along with a shopping list for fresh supplies when we pick the boxes up.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sharing information is what cyclists do best. Deb R. rode the route SOBO in 2019 and Kathy S. rode NOBO last year. They come over for a debriefing of their experiences. Our maps are old, and Kathy has loaned us her maps and cue sheets. 

Deb R. and Kathy S. share their information on the route. Deb rode the route in 2019 SOBO, and Kathy rode NOBO last year.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Deb R. and Kathy S. share their information on the route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Packing up the boxes, we do a Kitty count before sealing. Miles wants to join us
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sample box contents
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our friend Dan Chan from Seattle came through for a visit. He is one of those friends who collects bike gear and equipment and shares.  He noticed that Rachel's shifter didn't have a cover so when he returned home, he mailed this to us. Dan is obsessed with weight and Patrick "accused" him of wanting to make Rachel's bike heavier, which he replied that his "stealth campaign to make the load heavier is working."

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our friend Dan Chan mailed the glue and a new shifter cover for Rachel's bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Patrick fixes makes a bike rack for the teardrop trailer. Patrick's dad, Frans and Petra will arrive on the 21st from Holland. They will drive us on the 25th to Antelope Wells and we will start riding the 29th. 

We've already have had to make adjustments of our route due to the fires and road closures in New Mexico. This is just a part of cycling touring. Because Frans and Petra only have a 3-month visa, we've also decided not to rush and ride border to border only. We will save the Canadian section for another tour and include continuing on to Inuvik. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

And soon we will say goodbye to our kitties and garden for a short time.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ocho waiting for the ducks to float down the irrigation canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back garden
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith AdamsI think there have been polar expeditions that have not been so carefully and meticulously planned and prepared for! I tip my bike helmet in your direction, as kindred spirits in that regard.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago