Day 2 Hachita to Separ and onto Deming - Racpat Bailed out of Great Divide 2022 - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2022

Day 2 Hachita to Separ and onto Deming

Catching a ride from Separ to Deming

“I’m not doing well,” Patrick says. It’s about 1pm and we’ve been here at the Bowlins Continental Divine Historic Store since after 09:30.  The wind has picked up with great force and very dehydrating. We are at the back of the store trying to stay in the shade.

 The cycling goes well today. The first 19miles to I-10 goes well and then joy ride turns to nightmare the last 8 miles to Separ on the frontage road that is all washboard. But even that section is not too much of a problem. In the Hachita Community Center this morning, we all woke up about the same time, early around 5am. The Finnish couple starts out before us. Rob is waiting until 06:30 for his ride to Antelope Wells. We say goodbye and tell him we’ll see him in Separ. He also plans to camp behind the Convenience Store tonight.

 The morning is cooler as the sun rises over the desert. At 5 miles, we catch up with Otso and Noora, and as we are visiting, Rob who stayed at the Bike Ranch last night stops. His plan is to ride all the way to Silver City today.  We have electrolyte drops in our water today. Last night, Trevan messaged us and warned about the frontage road and asked us to keep an eye out for his sunglasses that he had lost. (Update: check out Trevan’s journal here on cycleblaze Trevan’s Great Divide Adventure - 2020 - CycleBlaze, the Finnish couple found the glasses and returned them to him, but then disaster struck for Trevan)

 The wind is starting to pick up when we see the Flag flying and know we are about to Bowlins in Separ. “Were there 3 other cyclists here earlier?” Patrick asks the manager of the convenience store. “Four,” he replied. “Is there a place to camp here?” Patrick continues. Aaron, the manager, mentions that Rob had camped here. That others cyclists have asked but some are reluctant because of the goatheads. The store is a maze of souvenirs and a whole room full of fireworks. There are restrooms and according to Aaron the water is good tasting and plentiful. After a while, Aaron shows Patrick a place in the back with concrete that for the moment is in shade. The sun begins to take away the shade as the wind picks up. Aaron has his sons move a picnic table into a shaded area for us. We stretch out trying to rest. The original plan was to keep going another 10-20 miles and free camp. With the heat, we had changed that to staying here in Separ. But by 1pm, Patrick is now affected by the heat. He is looking rough. On past tours, the heat has also affected him.

 Reviewing options and decision time. We are reluctant to head out in the remote area with our reactions to the heat. 

We decide to try to catch a ride to Deming, recover, and ride Hwy 180 to Silver City on Monday. When Patrick informed Aaron of this plan to leave, he offered to give us a ride to Deming. Patrick offered to pay for the gas, and he would not accept that, only that we “pay it forward”. We assure him that is what we will do and that he is building good karma.

 Aaron drives us to Deming, and we find a mom and pop motel nearby several fast food places. The air conditioning and a Subway sandwich from next door helps us recover. Since we already have a reservation for Monday in Silver City, and there really isn’t a good way to break-up the 53 miles there into two riding days we decide to stay here tomorrow to recover.

Morning sunrise
Heart 1 Comment 0
Border surveillance balloon
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Five miles out we catch the Finnish couple. We will not see them again.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Another Rob who stayed at the Bike Ranch catches us, his plan is ride to Silver City today
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow. Actually, this reminds me of the road north from Lordsburg to Silver City.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting close to I-10, seeing a train in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ghost bike from 2019
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off the asphalt onto the frontage road for 8 miles to Separ. This road is brutal with washboards and gravel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reaching halfway of the 8miles on the frontage road to Separ and heading for shade
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Separ store in sight!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bowlins Continental Divide Historic Store
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 73 miles (117 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Kelly IniguezIt snowed in Colorado all weekend. Such irony. Stay safe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kelly IniguezThanks Kelly, our goal is to keep moving and do what we can. I'm thinking I have a bit hubris thinking I can do this ride at the age of 71. We are in Silver City now. The wind was the problem today! We are going to slow down and get our mojo back.

Snow, go figure. The weather is just crazy. Happy travels and you too stay safe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lori LewisJust take it easy, but you know that.. we've had several tour plans change due to heat.. once outside of Pittsburgh headed to Buffalo it was so damn hot we couldn't bring ourselves to leave the subway shop and it's AC. We finally did and as we rode up the next hill and a moving van passed us. We looked at each other and before you know it we had rented a small moving van to transport us the 80 miles to just outside Buffalo. So much cheaper and you can do one ways!.. keep drinking and keep those bandanas wet.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Lori LewisThanks Lori, yes experience has given us various ways of looking at things and obstacles. Patrick though is not enjoying this so far (only 3 days cycling) and still feeling wiped out by the heat. He is liking less the unknowns of touring. We also have an "out" with his dad and wife still within a days drive. We are talking about options, maybe return home and ride the Idaho Hot Springs Loop!
Thank you for your encouragement.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekI read Trevan's journal. Too bad a out his trip ending but it could always be worse.

Safe riding!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago