Toulouse - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2022 to October 31, 2022

Toulouse

Our last stop in France, Toulouse may well be our new ‘favourite city’ where we would be glad to come and live for a few months. 

It’s the energy of the place that impresses: a vibrancy stemming from a youthful and relatively prosperous population combined with our good luck to be there during an exceptionally warm week at the end of October.  The difference seemed particularly evident after a few weeks in rural France, peacefully full of historic buildings and old people.  

We stayed six days, two of which we cycled, exploring the bike paths through the old centre, then further out along the canals and into the suburbs.  We stayed right by the river, on a street that was enough removed to be always quiet, yet only a 5 minute walk to be in the action, strolling along busy streets full of cafés, bakeries, shops and lovely old buildings.   Every day we walked and walked, going to the different markets to ogle the food options, visiting churches, trying to find all the “Highlights of the Resistance” from a brochure, just having fun getting semi-lost and then found again in this delightful city.  I guess we were so busy living the experience that we hardly took any photos, so what is below doesn't do justice.  

On a practical side, we found a super little bike shop where the owner diagnosed Ann’s noisy derailleur and fixed it for 40€, the HomeBox storage facility was staffed by a very helpful and friendly man and the tram to the airport was as easy as it gets.  

Normally, we are in our rooms after dark and asleep by 10pm, so it was a special thrill to be out at night, so much so we will make a special post!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Setting up a market in front of the Capitole Building downtown
Heart 3 Comment 0
St-Sernin, a romanesque pilgrimage church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
St-Sernin interior. Beautifully restored.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Garonne River embankment
Heart 4 Comment 0
Funky cafe just a few streets back from downtown. We planned to go back and eat, but never made it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cafe culture
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
She may be no longer young but she still has style.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Exuberant store front.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of many barges converted to dwellings or businesses along this stretch of the Canal du Midi.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch at a seafood stall the Victor Hugo market
Heart 5 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraNice! Was wondering what happened to you two. Glad to see your journal pop up today!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Watching the shoppers at the Victor Hugo market
Heart 2 Comment 0
This Donjon behind the Capitole was built in 1525 to safeguard munitions and archives. Now it is the Tourist Information Office and a good spot for a family selfie.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,614 km (1,002 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonToulouse! Somehow for all the times we’ve visited this country we’ve never made it to Toulouse. We should make it over that way and check it out for ourselves.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonLooks like a great place!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Rachel, yes as you can see we loved being in Toulouse. Especially since we got to relax there for a few days before flying home. We walked miles and just really liked the vibe of the city. Full of young people, tourists too, but it seemed a city with great restos, car-free pedestrian areas and everyone enjoying the city.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonYes we would recommend it. We came in by train but then we cycled bike trails around and out of the city alongside the canals. It is very bike friendly. Because my bike needed repairs we did spend most of our time walking around. All good. We can recommend a great bike shop - Réparation vélo Toulouse, 6 Rue de la Laque, 31300 Toulouse. When we arrived he said he was too busy and it would be at least a week before he could look at it. By the end of our conversation he told us to leave it and come back the next day. When we came back, he had diagnosed the. problem asked us how we wanted to proceed. Once agreed on the plan, he said give me a half hour and it will be ready. He put on a new derailleur and chain. My bike works like a dream. So pleased.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago