Sainte Marie de Campan to Adast, Col de Tourmalet - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2022

Sainte Marie de Campan to Adast, Col de Tourmalet

Col Tourmalet climb profile. Some scary 9-10% grades ahead
Heart 2 Comment 1

What an incredible day, the sun shone, the temperature got to a high of 20 over lunch, there was little wind and the views were absolutely amazing.  And the best part was the climb.  The Col de Tourmalet is the high point for us for this trip at 2115 meters, with 1400m of climbing.     

We left our hotel at 11 knowing we couldn't check in until 5pm.  For me the 17km up is all about the inclines.  The average is 7.4% with a maximum of 12%.  I divide the climb into three parts, the first 7 were not bad at all, the middle 6km to the ski station La Mongie were hard, and well the last 4 were super tough.  Oh, but what scenery.  The first part we passed by villages, campgrounds and waterfalls. It was Saturday morning so there were more cyclists and cars on the road then we've seen on any of our cols so far.  The vintage Ferrari club were doing the cols today, apart from the noise and smell of old motors, we enjoyed seeing them roar by.  

Soon the traffic died off and all was quiet as we continued to climb.  The white snow capped peeks began appearing through the trees and soon we were in wide open pasture land.  Lunch at La Mongie ski station was a much appreciated break.  By this time the mountain peaks are right in front of you, they feel so close.  The ski hill is using grazing animals to keep the grass cut in the lower levels, goats, sheep and lamas too.  Fortified, we continued our slow climb to the top, stopping often to catch our breath, take pictures and just drink in the view. 

The Col du Tourmalet is one of the most famous climbs on the Tour de France.  It has been included more than any other pass, since 1910, when the Pyrenees were introduced.  For a few minutes we joined in the revelry with other arrivals at the top of the 1400m climb.  We took pictures for a group of fit young cyclists at the university in Tarbe who were from Germany, Spain and Columbia.  Soon it was time to bundle up and coast down, through the switchbacks past more ski runs and chairs, to the cute village of Bareges with its thermal baths, then on to Luz Saint Sauveur for a celebratory coffee and ice cream.  And a little shopping for a souvenir cycle jersey for Ann!

Our accommodations are in Adast, in a beautiful new b&b.  We picked up a prepared supper at a traiteur and flew the last 14km downhill through a deep ravine to arrive hungry, yet elated from our day.

Statue right in front of our apartment of a Tour de France rider who broke his forks, ran10km with his bike and then rebuilt the forks himself in Ste Marie.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetI remember that statue! I always associate his name with toe clip and straps.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingNo team support cars in those days!?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyI guess not. He is an inspiration.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
What do to with an old gondola?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice and easy start to the climb
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Part way up and already the view back makes one dizzy
Heart 5 Comment 0
Lunch at La Mongie ski centre. Good thing we brought a picnic as nothing much was open.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Up into the snow. This would have been so much easier if the chairlift was running!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Sometimes the last kilometre is the hardest
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 1
Leo CainSame name as home.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The road down to Luz St Sauveur
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Shopping in Luz. Steve sees his idea of the perfect bottle holder.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 817 km (507 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Michael JamesAbsolutely breathtaking scenery. Hope you weren't too sore the next day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI knew you'd do it! So nice that you got clear weather for it. Climbs are so much better when there are views!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenCongratulations! What a perfect day for your climb….. Beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierCongratulations! You two are animals!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersWell done Ann and Steve…with panniers too-Mon Dieu. You are now officially col bagging rock stars ⭐️
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jane KyleStupendous ride! Looks like another amazing day…start to finish!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Michael JamesHi Michael, thanks for following along. Yes the scenery has been stupendous. We are now in Montauban and taking it easy. We took the train from Pau to Montauban. Another great mid size city. Drinks in the square tonight. Steve made supper, all is well. Love to you and Pascale.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jacquie GaudetYes if you are suffering, you gotta at least have the views!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jane KyleYes, it's been an incredible week. Thanks for commenting and following along.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago