Oxford - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

November 1, 2022 to November 3, 2022

Oxford

A side trip to Oxford was always planned for the end of this tour and, although we didn't actually ride our bicycles there, we did some reconnaissance for a future cycling trip.

Our daughter, Kathleen, started Graduate studies this fall so we were dying to see her and find out how she is settling into studying abroad.  We are glad to report that she is thriving, happily busy with academic challenges as well as the multitude experiences that Oxford has to offer.  

Oxford is everything we expected it to be, and more.  We were suitably awe-struck by stately grandeur of the buildings, the impeccably maintained lawns, the polite formalities of porters at the gates and passes for members only, the casual mention of famous alumni.  But there is much more than just the history; the place is still so very much alive, bustling with students going to lectures or sports or the pub.  An example is New College which was founded in 1379, has had various additions over the centuries and where a massive extension is now under construction that will have the first curvilinear quad as a modern evolution of an old tradition.

Kathleen, like her mother, tries to pack as much as possible into any visit, so we saw and did a surprising amount in the two short days we were there.  We walked miles all over the town of Oxford, which is full of charming old buildings and humming with student and town life, but the fun part is to get in through the gates to visit the University buildings.  Some are open to the public, but often only the quads and the chapels and only at certain times, some can be visited only if accompanied by a member of the University, and others only with members of that college, and others only to attend a specific event.  We had to strategically plan our visits to see as much as possible make the most of when Kathleen was available. Below is a list of what we got done

Visits

Colleges: All Souls, Balliol, Keble, Merton, New, St. Cross, St. Edmund.

Oxford Union, Museum of Natural Sciences and the Bodlian Libraries. 

Events

Lunch at St. Cross, Organ recital at Queens, Requiem Service at Christ Church, Thomas Merton exhibit at St. Mary's, talk on the role of women in the current revolution in Iran at Christ Church.  

Met some students and faculty at the Department of International Development.

Needless to say, we were worn out at the end of two days, but are keen to go back next summer when the weather should be more suitable for punting.

Heading onto the “city of dreaming spires”
Heart 7 Comment 1
Lots of people on bicycles, despite the cold weather and heavy traffic
Heart 5 Comment 0
Balliol dining hall
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Bodlian Libraries is spread over multiple buildings
Heart 5 Comment 0
In the quad at St Edmund, where my brother, Dan, studied
Heart 7 Comment 0
The Radcliffe, Part of the Bodlian Libraries.
Heart 5 Comment 0
More spires
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ah, here’s a way to get into Queen’s College.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A contemplative audience at the Organ recital
Heart 3 Comment 0
New College chapel
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Divinty School at the Bodlian
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tourists posing at Christ Church gardens
Heart 5 Comment 0
Selfie at All Souls Quad
Heart 5 Comment 0
All Souls quad
Heart 5 Comment 0
Library at the Student Union building
Heart 7 Comment 0
Reading room at the Union
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
St Cross quad. Kathleen’s college.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Keble College, the colourful brickwork stands out.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Another highlight was a confluence of ideal conditions for our visit to Keble Chapel (open to the public 2:00-4:00pm).  First, we were the only visitors there for almost 30 minutes; as well, the organist was practicing so the immense space was filled with beautiful music;  then the visual aspect was enhanced as the sun came out and shone brilliantly through the stained glass windows, illuminating the mosaics in a dancing light.  We tried to capture all this in the video below. 

Brightly coloured mosaics surround the walls below the windows in Keble chapel.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At the museum
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Scott AndersonThis looks like such an exceptional interlude. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingThis item was beautifully written (your daughter is carrying on your love of writting and learning). The photographs were wonderful, your photograph of New College Chapel is the very best I have ever seen. Thank you so much for sharing your visit. Mary
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI’m so glad you had such a wonderful visit with your daughter!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Mike AylingThank you Mary for reading our blog, commenting and for your kind words. We are grateful that Kathleen has this opportunity to study at Oxford this year and we were thrilled to be able to visit her and have the "local's" tour. It was a time with her we will cherish.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenOh I loved this post. Our kiddos are so precious, and I am so happy you got to spend this time with your daughter. Isn’t it wonderful when those kiddos give us opportunities to travel as well?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Eva WaltersIt's great that you could fit in a visit to the Natural History museum. A pretty amazing place with the beautiful glass roof. We were in Oxford (with our bicycles) in 2014 and the museum had just reopened after a two-year closure. We spent half a day there.
So nice that you had such a lovely visit with your daughter!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jane KyleSo exciting! Such a bonus when your children study or work abroad & you're able to visit. Our daughter taught school in London, England & our son spent a term studying architecture in Ferrara, Italy. Such a fun travel experience for all!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Eva WaltersHi Eva
Thanks for reading our blog, I just looked at your England trip 2014. I look forward to re-reading your blog this winter as we plan on cycling to Oxford from Toulouse in the spring.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jane KyleYes, with kids traveling too, it gives a wonderful plus to our touring. I would love to have the opportunity to visit offspring in Italy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago