Quillan to Limoux - Pyrenees Solo 2016 - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2016

Quillan to Limoux

By the scenic route

Somehow I'd thought this might be an easy day. Fuelled by two pastries and a café au lait, I continued northward on the D 118 as far as Couiza, where I turned east on D 613. This was a classic French country road, with low traffic and scenic countryside. Other road users included what appeared to be a group of Boy Scouts, each carrying a good-sized pack and walking east. When I first saw them, their scraggly line filled the width of the road. I stopped and spent about an hour visiting Chateau d'Arques; they didn't stop and I didn't see them again. I did see a convoy of about 15 fancy sports cars, Ferraris, Iron-Man-type Audis, etc., roaring their way west.

From Wikipedia:

The castle consists of an enceinte and a high square keep with four turrets. It was built after Albigensian Crusade of the 13th century on lands given to Pierre de Voisins, one of Simon de Montfort's lieutenants.

The almost square enceinte (51m by 55m) encircles the castle with a gateway furnished with machicolation and surmounted with a keystone bearing the arms of the Voisin famil ("De gueules à trois fusées d'or en fasce, accompagnées en chef d'un lambel à quatre pendant de même"). Numerous buildings must have existed the length of the enceinte. Two well-preserved residential towers remain.

The square keep, 25 m high, is a work of military architecture inspired by castles in the Ile de France. It has four levels served by a spiral staircase. The various rooms were constructed with extreme care. The top floor was given over to defence of the castle. Forty soldiers could defend it thanks to numerous murder holes and rectangular bays set symmetrically into the walls.

It is a good example of the progress in military construction in a strategically important region.

Vineyard! First one on this trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Chateau d'argues with the fastest scouts on the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
The donjon. I thought "donjon" might translate as "dungeon" but it's more like the keep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up at the ceiling, I wonder how they built it. Yes, I'm an engineer but we don't learn much about masonry in Canadian engineering programs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lord's accommodation on the first floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Window seat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Privy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up one of the towers, obviously not the one with the stairs!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second floor, the guards' accommodation. Not quite as deluxe, but not too bad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The guards got window seats too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rather nice window seats, actually.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the top of the donjon showing the avenue of plane trees and the village of Arques.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exterior of donjon. The privy outlet is at one of those arches below where the tower tapers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the remaining buildings at the corner of the enclosing wall. Not much to see, except...
Heart 0 Comment 0
... (blurry) bats!
Heart 0 Comment 0
About the bats
Heart 0 Comment 0
More about the bats
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the village of Arques, I turned onto D 54, which climbs though red earth and pine forest. As my altitude increased, the loud insect buzzing which I'd heard all morning was replaced with birdsong. At the intersection past Font de Razoules, I turned onto D 129 and continued to climb to an unmarked Col. Here I ate the two mini pizzas I'd bought in Arques (there wasn't much) and spun down through Villardebelle and rejoined D 54 for a steep short climb. Then D 129 through St-Polycarpe and on into Limoux.

Climbing out of Arques, red earth and pine trees
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back down on the chateau
Heart 0 Comment 0
There's logging in France. It must be selective cutting as I haven't seen any clearcuts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All of the smaller signs are farms. Each has its sign on the road, then you go past a building or two (house and barn, say) and back to open country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On top of the plateau, completely different views to the red earth and dark green below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is one of the things I remember about France from my last visit in 1992: narrow roads lined by plane trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along D 129
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bluebell?
Heart 0 Comment 0
These yellow flowers on their spiky stems intrigued me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The abbey in St-Polycarpe looks in very nice condition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is why--it's now a destination?
Heart 0 Comment 0
St-Polycarpe
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campground is close to the River Aude and one can walk along the river and over the old bridge into town. I did so and wandered around the town for a bit, but I was very hungry and none of the restaurants were serving food until 7. I found a Carrefours Express just a couple of blocks from the main square so decided to get a prepackaged salad and a bottle of wine, plus some yogurt and a bottle of orange juice to go with breakfast. With a vegetable gratin from a deli I was set and carried my loot back to the campsite.

The bridge into Limoux
Heart 0 Comment 0
Limoux from the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

62 km; ascent 669 m; descent 801 m

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 537 km (333 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0