Otranto - Lecce - Wandering in Puglia - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2022

Otranto - Lecce

On the road by 0730, we rode several blocks to  coffee.  Back on the road by 0800, we made great time with the wind to our backs.  At least when we weren’t pushing our bikes through overgrown single track that once might have been an actual road. We probably could have spent more time on the two lane highway given the lack of traffic, but that wasn’t the routing put into the gps. Had a nice ride along the coast, but turning inland the wind was in our faces. Hard. Pulled into Acaya, which only needed a few tumbleweeds to complete the empty feeling. Lucky us there was a sign for Quarta Caffè, so we took the opportunity to stop for another Cafe Leccese and pasticiotto. Some day I’m going to have to try a caffe corretto. The bottles of alcohol near the espresso machines are tempting. 

Our break finished, it was time to take a quick look at the castle and then ride the last, short segment to Lecce on the pilgrimage route. A lot of people out walking it, most paying attention. Both my brother and I were almost taken out by the same stupid woman who walked to her far left and was totally absorbed with what was on her phone. Fortunately she was the only one, but one is all it takes to ruin your day.

In town, it was time to dodge cars, made worse by gps instructions constantly wanting to send us the the wrong way on one way streets. I think we are at the right place and I text the host. Nope, they have not been at that location for three years. The name is changed as well. Hmm, the email address worked and the online sites still show the old address. Allora, off we go and within a few minutes we are at the correct address. Bikes in storage and us in our rooms to shower. 

Cleaned and slightly rested, we head out to find the US Lecce team store to pick up a commemorative t-shirt for their being moved up to Serie A. Then my brother is hungry, so we pull into an open place. I get a surprise when he orders both a panini and an arancino. That’s a lot of food, as he realizes when he sees it on the plate. But it all goes down. 

Typical Italy, it’s somewhat quiet during the day and really comes alive when the sun goes down.

A brief stop at Roca Vecchia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside the castle in Acaya.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Someone is always watching.
Heart 1 Comment 0
To enter the city.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch, a rustico leccese
Heart 1 Comment 0
The churches are so ornate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Watch your head going through the door to our accommodation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another church entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Antifeatro.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Surprise, another church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Porta Napoli.
Heart 1 Comment 0



Accommodation - B&B Palazzo Salia. Recommended

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0