Potenza to Pietrapertosa - Bumbling in Basilicata, Putzing in Puglia - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2023

Potenza to Pietrapertosa

All signs pointed to a brighter day today, at least unto 2pm, so we wasted no time at breakfast and got out the door and on our way by 8:30am. 

A small sampling of the cakes offered at breakfast.
Heart 3 Comment 1
All packed up and ready to roll.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I had planned a straightforward route to get us out of out of Potenza, but after a missed turn, we were in the thick of the morning traffic. We stopped multiple times to check our location and occasionally backtracked to stay on course. 

We hit every kind of pavement en route, from heat-heaved to cracked and crumbled to gouged to mixed materials and sink holes. Asfor the roadways, they were a multi-layered, tangled mess. Cars, trucks and buses seemed to be going in all directions all at once. Eventually, we made our way to a lightly used state road next to the new highway. 

Soon, we were cycling in the the most beautiful countryside and as we made our way uphill, the views became more expansive. It was green in every direction and the roadsides were one huge floral display. Although there is a lot of cloud in this photo, there were blue skies overhead, which brought out the colours today.

Classic cycle touring day with gorgeous scenery.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We had views like this all morning.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The hilltops here are dotted with wind turbines to capture energy from the winds that blow from all directions. Today, the wind was light and few of the turbines were turning. The solar panels seen below were adjusting automatically to capture the solar energy.

Wind farms dot the hilltops in this area
Heart 1 Comment 0

The traffic all day (state and provincial roads) was minimal and the road surface was very good. We did encounter guard dogs today and that was not so pleasant. We went past two packs and each instance they approached with teeth bared and ran after us. I kept calm and stopped pedalling. That seemed to work this time. David had a bit more of a scare as an aggressive dog broke through a fence and came after him. Luckily, we were on a downhill slope at the time and the dogs retreated.

As we gained elevation, farms gave way to forests of mainly oak trees. The birds were making a racket, so I pulled out the Merlin app to identify them. We were being serenaded by European robins, Eurasian blackcaps, Eurasian wrens and Eurasian blue tits, plus a few others. At one point, an enormous kite flew overhead as it scoured the field for its lunch. 

Flowers of the Day

I stop frequently to take flower photos and so here are the best of the bunch from today’s route. Some of. These, I have not seen before (Bill, please correct me if I get these wrong).

King’s Spear
Heart 4 Comment 0
White dead nettle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lady orchid
Heart 5 Comment 0
Bugloss
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fennel
Heart 4 Comment 0
Helianthemum
Heart 2 Comment 0
Alpine viola
Heart 4 Comment 0
Silene
Heart 6 Comment 0

At the max elevation of the morning we arrived in a sleepy hilltop town, Campomaggiore. We spotted a sign for Pane (bread) and went through the beaded curtain to see what we could find. The baker proudly offered us some fresh focaccia with tomato sauce, which we gladly purchased for a sum of 1.40 euro per slice. It didn’t take long to polish them off and we asked ourselves once again... how can something so simple be so delicious? 

From Campomaggire we enjoyed a wicked descent to the valley floor. I lost count of the turns. You u can see our destination in the photo below. It’s the jagged peaks on the left side of the picture. I tried not to think about how tough it was going to be, keeping my focus on enjoying the descent in front of me.

On the way down.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The main highway of this region snakes through the valley alongside the Basento River. That’s where all the traffic was. We crossed the river and immediately began the final ascent. The sign at the bottom of the climb said it would be 11km long. 

We both settled in to a sustainable pace, aiming for a 1hr climb. I was thankful to my head mechanic for the range of low gears on this new Bike Friday. 

Again, we had the road to ourselves and the sun was shining. We heard a few cracks of thunder in the distance and I prayed we would make it to the summit before it rained.

On the way up.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Mudslides are not uncommon, by the looks of it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Riding through the forest at a 5-6% grade for the first 7k.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Behind these rocks in the foreground is a deep, deep gorge.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonHow beautiful!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The grade amped up to 8-9% at which point we we were getting a close look at the unique rock formations.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The world’s highest zipline across the gorge...no thanks.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After an hour or so, we turned the corner and this was the view of Pietrapertosa.

Pietrapertosa
Heart 9 Comment 0

We booked in to our B&B and just five minutes later, the black clouds arrived and began to dump their load. They announced their arrival with huge cracks of thunder overhead. What to do now? The Giro is taking a rest day so no cycling to watch. I snuggled under a cozy warm blanket and to my surprise, promptly fell asleep for two hours. By then, the storm was gone. Out we went on the hunt for refreshments and some sightseeing. What a unique setting!

Stones are there to hold the tiles in place.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Streets are actually stairs in vertical villages like this.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Narrow roadways in Pietrapertosa.
Heart 2 Comment 0

If you have been following along on this journal, you are well aware that the food on this trip has been outstanding. Well, this is Monday and I can report that restaurants in small villages like this close down on Mondays. Suffice it to say that we struck out tonight and made do with a very average panini and a Mars bar for dessert 😝.  So, no food pictures tonight.

Instead, here are a couple of sunset shots of this extraordinary place. I am happy to report that tourism has not found Pierrapertosa. It’s been an authentic experience and I am grateful for that.

Heart 13 Comment 4
Rachael AndersonHow spectacular!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Anne MathersTo Rachael AndersonYes, it is photogenic at all times of the day. And, you can hike right up to the top of the rocks, Rachel! Scott could take a ‘where’s Rachel ?k photo. 😊
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Anne MathersSounds wonderful but getting there sounds really hard. I doubt it would be doable with Scott’s condition.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sunset shows off the town.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 2
David MathersTo Debbie BriggsThat photo is not doctored. Exactly how it looks.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 275 km (171 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Keith ClassenI like the elevation profile as you approach your destination. Good work! A dramatic setting…great photos! After that climb you really did deserve a nice dinner though. Tomorrow maybe!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Anne AnastasiouBeautiful pics of your day. So glad you got a great ride in. Too bad about dinner and the dogs! A bit scary. Glad you were both okay.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat an amazing ride and you beat the rain!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Anne MathersTo Rachael AndersonYes, we are so thankful for the good weather on today’s ride.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Anne MathersTo Keith ClassenThose sandwiches were not even good! Snickers (not Mars bars) and coffee made up for it, though 🤪😆.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago