Nice and Monaco - Provence Again 🇫🇷 - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2019 to June 19, 2019

Nice and Monaco

Tues 18 June

On our 2nd last day in France we toured the Rothschild estate at Cap Ferrat followed by a visit to Monte Carlo Monaco.  The Rothschild estate was truly amazing and well preserved.  My favourite parts were the gardens rather than the house but both were indeed impressive.  Monte Carlo is also amazing but expensive to live here.  We saw a sign for a 500 sq ft flat with only a kitchenette for 1.6M € or $2M+ Cdn.  It may be a tax haven but you need LOTS of money to be able to live here.  We started with the Palace of the reigning Grimaldi family.  There were lots of references to Grace Kelly throughout the Palace since she was married to Prince Rainier.  After the Palace we walked around the harbour and ended with the outside of the Casino.  It was very hot today (34C) so about 4PM we had had enough and went back to our flat for a relaxed dinner.

The Japanese Garden on the estate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The flowers were beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fountains in the garden were timed to music every 20 minutes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three amigos and a garden gnome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the garden from the balcony of the mansion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Believe it or not these are very fancy porcelain bed pans for guests to us during very long fancy dinners.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of Monte Carlo
Heart 0 Comment 0
A boat anyone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maybe this one owned by a Russian billionaire. For more info look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_(sailing_yacht)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monte Carlo and harbour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Palace with the guard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I snuck this picture of the throne inside the Palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monaco is famous for the Grand Prix. This is a replica of a three time world champion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Monte Carlo casino.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped here (Café de Paris) near the casino. I had the most expensive non-alcoholic drink in my life but I did not care. I was hot and dehydrated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I lovely chefs salad accompanied by some white wine courtesy of Hilary.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wed June 19

Today was our last full day in France so we took the time to tour Nice on foot and by another tourist train.  I have been here on two previous occasions so by the early afternoon I was ready to get out of the sun again.  It will be an early and night since we start our journey home just after 7 local time.

Carousels remain a very popular in all the cities and towns that we have visited. This one dates back to 1900.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen 2 office buildings like this one called tête carrée (square head).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our little tourist train, saving our feet since yesterday I had 20,000 steps on my watch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The women’s World Cup of soccer is going on across France including here in Nice. Tonight Japan and England play here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice is famous for its flower market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large fountain on the edge of the old town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach is famous for its blue beach chairs so a monument was created to the chairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of only a small portion of the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are these odd looking statues are located in Place Massena.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is called the Conversation and they light up at night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little jazz at our dinner location on the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Celebrating with a little French champamge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le voilà here it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0