To Santa Maria di Leuca - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2023

To Santa Maria di Leuca

We get off to a successful start this morning, managing to get ourselves, our gear and our bikes down those steep stairs and onto the street without careening down head first even once between the two of us.  Really, we’re very proud of it.

Our apartment in Galatina is a very welcoming place. How many of these languages do you recognize?
Heart 3 Comment 7
Tricia GrahamAmazed to see Kia Ora in such large letters Wonder how many people would recognise it
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauI only recognized six of them, which is pretty good for a guy who only knows English and really doesn't even know that language very well. I know you've been in Pullman, WA. Did you see this display? Pullman is also a very welcoming city.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/dottedlines/colfax-washington-cougars-vandals-and-codgers/#18438_mg3twbn9xxmyuqjy59j95oswkjr
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Gregory GarceauI wonder whether we got the same six?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauNo, I missed that. That’s great - do you remember where it is? I did see the terrific Codger Pole in Colfax though.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Gregory GarceauI really liked Pullman when we were there!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamMy thought too, Tricia!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Scott AndersonIt was a couple blocks from downtown on Highway 270.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The ride begins with a short rattletrap ride through the historical center to the basilica for a quick second look into its frescoed interior (see previous post), and then we’re quickly out of town and on quiet roads biking south toward the end of this part of the world, Santa Maria di Leuca.  We could quickly drop down to the sea and follow it most of the way, but I’ve chosen a route that stays in the interior for all but the final six miles, thinking we’ll find a quieter ride.  I’m right - the first thirty miles are an excellent ride, except for brief stretches biking through a few small towns on the way.

In Salento, a spectacular place to be in the spring.
Heart 5 Comment 0
At times it feels like we’re biking through a vast flower garden.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rustic, I’d say.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are two styles of these pajari: trapezoidal like this, and conical. Is there a different name for the two of them?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bob KoreisGive this a read re pujari (and lamia). https://www.salentodolcevita.com/blog/en/lamie-e-trulli-nel-salento-il-fascino-delle-case-in-pietra/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob KoreisWonderful. Thanks for sending this our way, Bob.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking east from the high point of the ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we move further south in the peninsula structures like this become steadily more common. Here we’re at the high point of the ride (a nose bleed inducing 570’), and in addition to these three I can see five others from where I’m standing.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We climb gradually and modestly for the first ten miles before topping out at the high point of the ride and then dropping a few hundred feet over the next few miles to Casarano, the largest and by far busiest of these small towns on our route.  We really don’t care for the rough surfaced, busy two-lane street we enter town on, but the traffic is dense and slow moving enough that we just take the lane.  It’s not bad really, but a bit jarring after having the road to ourselves for the last hour.

After a mile or two of this though we turn off onto a very narrow, rough street and zig zag a few blocks until we suddenly emerge onto an impressive small piazza.  It’s lunch time, so we find an open bar, order a couple of sandwiches, and pull up a table in the sun.

Entering Casarano.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Chiesa Madre, Casarano.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Chiesa Madre, Casarano.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The impressively tall 18th century bell tower, Casarano.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The two bells of the clock tower. the larger one rings out the hour, and the smaller the quarters. At 12:45 twelve long, lower tones rang, then three higher pitched ones. The longest possible combination, it continued for a long time.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The obelisk of San Giovanni Elemosiniere, according to the map.
Heart 2 Comment 0
San Giovanni the Almoner, distributing alms. A Cypriot from the 6th century, the Saint has only a few places worldwide that venerate him, including Casarano.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The balcony opposite our lunch break bar, supported by nine visages with different facial expressions.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I especially like the look on the right.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Bob KoreisIs that the Cowardly Lion in the center?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lunch stop on the plaza, where two stuffed pastries from the bar set us back €3.70. We halved and shared them both. When we cut them open we found that the first was filled with cheese and tomato, and the second was filled with - cheese and tomato.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsLooks as if you beat the lunch trade rush, to boot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsActually not. A group of six, half dressed in clerical collars, were clogging up the bar when we arrived and left just as we sat down. We’re lucky they didn’t finish off all the cheese and tomato sndwiches.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Afterwards we’re soon out of town again and back on the same lonely roads we spent the morning on.  We roll along more or less at elevation for the next ten or fifteen miles before finally dropping to the sea.  We follow the coast road for the final six miles before pulling up a small hill to an our apartment and settle in for a two night stay.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Another fortified masseria, I suppose.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beginning the drop to the sea.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back at Casarano, our lunch stop for the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ciardo Bay.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Approaching Santa Maria di Leuca.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Video sound track: Your Smile, by Dino & Franco Piana Septet

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 38 miles, 1,200’; for the tour: 476 miles, 29,100’

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 476 miles (766 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0