To Palermo - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2023 to March 16, 2023

To Palermo

So do I have enough energy to do this?  Maybe not, and it’s a bad sign that I fell asleep a few times just scrolling through the photos.  But how much needs to be said about a day that began at 2:45, included four flights, and ended as well as could be hoped for?  To our great surprise we and our luggage all made our 40 minute connection in San Francisco, even though our departure from Portland was delayed by 20 minutes. And we made the next three flights also, and didn’t lose my wallet in the Rome airport even though I tried to; and didn’t lose Rachael’s rucksack at dinner either, even though we tried to do that also.  We’re very happy to be here, but exhausted.  Bye for now.

Harrison Towers West, 3:15 AM, 3/15.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Great that the dispatcher sent the small wagon I’d requested.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraLooks like you've done this kind of thing before.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraExperience helps. So does luck. They couldn’t guarantee one would be available when I called.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It’s a good thing we arrived at PDX with time to spare because we needed it. It took 20 minutes at the checkin counter before they were done with us,
Heart 4 Comment 0
Flight #1: arriving in San Francisco.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesHa! I wondered if that was you two.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Flight #4: leaving Rome.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Arriving in Palermo.
Heart 5 Comment 1
David MathersThat looks familiar!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Arriving in Palermo.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Hotel Alma, our home for the next three nights.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view from our balcony.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The stairwell.
Heart 11 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonDid you have to carry your bags and bikes up those stairs?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonOh my gosh, what a horrible thought! It hurts imagining it. No, there was an elevator - a small one. We had to go up separately.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It’s a great place, so why such a dark expression? Extreme sleep deprivation perhaps.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I stopped for a few halfhearted snaps on the way back to the restaurant to retrieve Rachael’s rucksack. Might as well include them. This is Teatro Massimo, the opera house.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the two monumental bronze lions bordering the entrance. Teatro Massimo is the largest oper hous in Italy, and the third largest (after the ones in Paris and Vienna) in Europe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A roofline detail, Teatro Massimo.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Rich Frasier4 flights! OMG! Congratulations on surviving that!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonYippee, you made it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersGreat to hear you have arrived!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierToo soon to tell. We’re here at least, but the jury’s still out on whether we survived it or not. Yawn!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo David MathersThat’s what we think. We weren’t really counting on it when we started out, but it all went well. And all this blue sky!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchGive it a coule of days and some decent coffe - you'll be fine.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mark BinghamLooking forward to reading about the trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamOverseas air travel is not for sissies. Congrats on powering through it once again. Excited to follow your trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago