To Mazara del Vallo - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 23, 2023

To Mazara del Vallo

The plan for the next two days was to bike from here to Corleone today, and then south to Sciacca tomorrow.  Both rides would have been roughly 40 miles with around 3,500’ of climbing.  I’m still being cautious about my health though so we’ve decided to take a much less challenging itinerary by staying in Mazara del Vallo tonight instead of Corleone.  It will save us around fifteen miles and 4,000’ of climbing over the two days, and it just felt like the prudent thing to do.  We’ll have to eat the cost of the room in Corleone because it’s too late to cancel it, but we’re feeling pretty flush after two cheap meals at Burger House.

As it turned out, at the end of the day I think I might have been fine with the ride to Corleone.  I’ve been feeling progressively better for each of the last three days, and today I feel just shy of normal.  One thing that’s contributed to my recovery is that I got an excellent night’s sleep for each of the last two nights and am finally over jet lag.  I’m thinking that the stress of travel and adjustment probably contributed to my arrythmia episodes, as it has in the past.

But enough about me.  How was the ride to Mazara del Vallo?  It was short, easy, and absolutely awesome.  The best day of the tour so far.  It would have been a great day even without the sheep drive, but the sheep put it over the top.

Leaving Salemi, precipitously. This stretch at the base of our street was at least 20%, steep enough that we walked the bikes down.
Heart 4 Comment 1
The first two miles are a fast, beautiful descent before we dropped to the valley floor. We could have just barreled through, but this seemed worth a stop.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An interesting subject. I think that’s an olive branch.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Still dropping.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A look back at Salemi.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And another. The flowers and rural settings were spectacular all morning long. It felt like we were biking through a natural park.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Surprisingly, we didn’t see many cars sharing the road with us.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This is why we decided to come back to Sicily for the third time.
Heart 8 Comment 0
The wildflower scene is indescribable. It feels like we’re here at the perfect time.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Andrea BrownMeanwhile, back in Portland, it's snowing again. You definitely made the correct choice here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownWell of course it’s snowing in Portland. It’s not even April yet!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A last look back at Salemi before we cross a low ridge and descend toward the coast.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A nice contrast to all those outrageous yellows.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Borage!
Heart 4 Comment 1
I’ll have to show you a close-up of these yellow flowers one of these days. Feel free to record your guesses in the meantime.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLike you say, without a good closeup, hard to say, but my wild guess based on the color and general shape is Oxalis...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalis_pes-caprae
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesMy guess is oxalis also
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And we thought we were on the road less traveled!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Let’s see if we can capture this on video.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The parade marches on.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Andrea BrownI love it when animals claim the road space.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI’d have liked it better if they cleaned up after themselves. We didn’t see the sheep but they made this road particularly challenging afterwards. Happy we have fenders (not only for rain)!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Not here, silly. The sheep are that way!
Heart 5 Comment 0
North of Mazara del Vallo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
North of Mazara del Vallo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
North of Mazara del Vallo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching Mazara del Vallo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In our neighborhood, in the Kasbah. Mazara is an old Arab town.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Video sound track:  I Can See Clearly Now, by Johnny Nash

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 21 miles, 500’; for the tour: 109 miles, 9,100’

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 109 miles (175 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0