Springing ahead - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 11, 2023 to March 14, 2023

Springing ahead

As we sprint for the exit, our remaining days are a hodgepodge of packing, storage unit shuffling, social engagements, walks when the weather is favorable, and no biking.

Saturday

Saturday is gorgeous, really the finest day since we returned to Portland.  With an expected high of above 50, it’s a perfect day for a ride.  If only our bikes weren’t all already suitcased for the flight or in storage; and if we didn’t have other, higher priority commitments.  Like with Wednesday’s drive to Seattle, today’s fine weather will make way for a drive to Salem to visit with friends before we leave for another season.

Mount Tabor looks radiant this morning. And I’m impressed! Something I hadn’t thought of is that the camera on the new iPad is better than on the old one.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We’re due to leave for Salem at 9:30, which leaves me time to drive down to Caffe Umbria for breakfast while Rachael makes a dash for 24 Hour Fitness.  Coffee and croissant firmly fixed in place, I step outside again to get in the car to drive home but am briefly concerned when it won’t unlock.  I give it a couple of tries, and then realize it’s not my car.  It’s an exact match to mine - same make, model, and color - which is parked at the other end of the block.  Different license plate though.  I’ve probably got the only A RAVEN license plate in the country.

What are the odds?
Heart 3 Comment 3
Keith Adams50/50: either it happens, or it doesn't.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYes, that’s how I remember it from my statistics class too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekWait, you said there would be no math. ...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We arrive in Salem at 9:30 precisely and are greeted at the door by my young friend Frank (Frank is exactly four weeks my junior).  He ushers us in where we’re also greeted by his wife Julie.  Like nearly all of our friends and family up here, this is the first time we’ve been together in over a year.  We had plans to stop in on them in December on the way south, but my Covid diagnosis squashed that plan.

For the next two hours we have an excellent visit, catching up on each other’s lives over tea, coffee, and plates of cold cuts.  Afterwards we head down to the basement so that Frank can show off his Bike Friday, new to him since he fractured his hip on a fall from his Bianchi Volpe.  He replaced the Volpe after deciding that a Bike Friday would be easier for him to manage.  He’s very enthusiastic about it and is happily regularly getting out on the road again.

Great visit!  We vow to not let another full year slip by before we meet again.

With the Jellisons.
Heart 2 Comment 0
New New World Tourist, with a not-so-new Salem tourister.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Janice BranhamI agree about it being easier to manage. One of the things I love about the Bike Friday is I feel closer to the ground and more able to hop off quickly. It's my favorite bike for pulling my grandson in the trailer for that reason.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The alarm on my iPad reminds us that it’s time to move on.  We take our leave and dash over to La Maguerita, a Mexican restaurant we frequented countless times in the decades we lived in Salem, arriving just before our friend Lyn who’s driven up from Eugene to visit with us.

Maybe not wait a year next time, huh?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachel and Patrick HugensWow, jealous, I'm so missing Mexican food! R
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We’re lucky to get to see Lyn, who’s only been back in Oregon for a few days.  She just returned earlier this week from a tour of Cambodia with her son.  Like with Frank and Julie, we haven’t seen Lyn in over a year either - if I remember right, the last time was on our drive south to Tucson 15 months ago - so there’s much ground to cover here also.  Lunch goes quickly, and then we head down to the riverfront for a walk over the new bridge that connects the waterfront to Minto Island.

Lyn with her son Craig.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At La Maguerita with Lyn, for about the umpteenth time.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Admiring the Peter Courtney Bridge, new since any of us still lived down here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking to Minto Brown Island. The new bridge and other waterfront developments since the demolition of the Boise Cascade plant are transformative. Salem feels like a much more inviting place now than when we left it twenty years ago.
Heart 3 Comment 0

On the drive back to Portland we’re reminding each other of the hundreds of times we took this drive home in the years after we moved north while we still worked in Salem and partly telecommuted.  For years we would drive down to Salem early in the week, stay at a Travelodge for a couple of nights, and drive home again.  

Do we miss that drive in the slightest?  No - but I always loved rounding the Terwilliger Curves on a clear evening and briefly seeing Mount Hood fill the sky ahead.  It’s that way again this evening.  It briefly takes my breath away, and on impulse I propose that we drive up to Terwilliger Boulevard for a decent view.  We find a spot to park, get out for a short walk to admire the views - east toward Mount Hood, south along the river toward the Sellwood Bridge - and then Rachael walks ahead a ways, just far enough to reach the 10,000 steps that her new Amazon watch has been counting for her all day.

An aside: I couldn’t remember for certain how to spell Terwilliger, so I looked it up and found this article about the history of Terwilliger Boulevard.  I was surprised to learn that it was first proposed to the city by John Olmsted (stepbrother of Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr.) as part of proposed modifications to Washington Park.

And, as another aside: I wonder how many folks familiar with Portland knew that at one point Washington Park included a bear pit, to house a pair of grizzly bears donated by Richard Wright from his waterfront collection of exotic animals brought here by his seafaring friends.  The bear pit originally stood near the northeast corner of the park and eventually led to the creation of the Oregon Zoo.

The bear pit, around 1910.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bruce LellmanAnd I believe the original site of the zoo became the site for the Japanese Garden fifty some years ago. But I sure never knew about the bear pit.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Bruce LellmanThat's what we learned last summer on our visit. The zoo was moved to provide better accommodations for the animals, and the then-Mayor proposed the Japanese Gardens as a way to begin the healing and rapprochement process after WWII.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Keith AdamsOh, that's interesting. I didn't know that's how the Japanese Gardens started. It's one of the best things Portland has to offer, in my opinion. Lots of Japanese come to Portland to see the Japanese Garden because it is pristine and not trampled along the edges of the paths like so many are in Japan.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The view from Terwilliger Boulevard probably looks today much as Olmsted envisioned it over a century ago.
Heart 9 Comment 0
The view northeast, toward Silver Star Mountain.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Keith AdamsProbably not coincidentally that cable-stayed bridge in the foreground looks like a small squadron of sailboats.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsOh, I like that! I’ve never noticed that before. That’s Tilikum Crossing, our newest bridge - foot traffic and the light rail only.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Just a few more steps!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Sunday

We’re springing ahead this morning!  It’s a little disorienting to wake up while it’s still dark, but it does get us up early enough to appreciate the sunrise.

The day begins with a rosy glow, but things quickly go downhill from here.
Heart 5 Comment 0

With a generally crappy day in the forecast, we spend much of it around the apartment, packing up and otherwise preparing for departure.  The main event of the day isn’t until this evening, when we drive over for a get together (and CycleBlaze meetup!) with Bruce and Andrea.  We’ve been planning this gathering ever since we returned to Portland, but a variety of conflicts and considerations kept pushing it out.  Finally it came together, just in the nick of time.

And, inexplicably, I forgot to take a meetup photo.  Having none of my own, I grabbed portraits from their recent journey, To Begin Again.

Heart 0 Comment 0


Monday

Sunday’s weather was bad, but Monday’s was horrible.  Wet, wet, wet.  Not much to report, other than that we met with Elizabeth to close out our old safety deposit box and open up a new one, because the branch where our old one was located is closing in a few weeks.

Oh, one more thing.  When Elizabeth and I left the old bank, I was again briefly perplexed when the car wouldn’t unlock.  A day later, and once again I’m trying to unlock a black VW Golf Sportswagen, parked just around the corner from ours.  And it’s not the same one as yesterday’s either, because this one has Washington plates!  Very bizarre.

So that was exciting.  Also though, we ended the day by watching the final episode of season one (and hopefully not the final season) of The Law According to Lidia Poët, a dramatization of the life of Italy’s first female lawyer.

Monday

Departure eve!  Our flight leaves tomorrow morning at 6, so today is really it.  We have to get all the remaining stay-behinders into storage and ready ourselves for tomorrow morning’s 3:30 taxi ride to the airport. And we have one last social engagement - lunch at Jake’s with Elizabeth, before we hand over the keys to the Raven.

First though, there’s one last sunrise to admire and one last trip down to Caffe Umbria for breakfast while Rachael finishes the laundry, piles up her stay-behinders for me to take to storage, and steps out for a last walk south toward Lair Hill.

Another fine day for a ride, if that option were on the table. Not today either, but soon enough hopefully.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraI agree. The resolution on your new IPAD is sweet.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraThe previous sunrise photo just above is a counterexample, shot with Rachael’s older iPad mini. Not the same quality.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Something I’ll miss about Portland when we leave - the crows are just stirring and chatting themselves up for their daily diaspora.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Surely this will all fit in the storage unit!
Heart 0 Comment 0

So that’s it.  Next stop Palermo, hopefully - although we’re both stressed about whether we’ll make our very tight connecting flight in San Francisco tomorrow morning.  If we miss that, we’ll likely be losing a day somewhere between there and Sicily.

And, before we go, a few food photos we’ve been saving up for the end to remind us that there’s more to life than Italian cuisine.

There’s Greek! At Eleni’s, enjoying the manitarsia appetizer (mixed mushrooms sautéed with garlic, sage & light spinach).
Heart 1 Comment 0
And the second appetizer, melanzanes yemistes (rose garlic, fresh tomatoes, herbs stuffed in eggplant, feta & saganaki cheese).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Garithes Skiathos (fresh lemon squeezed, sauteed wild prawns, white wine-butter, fresh plum tomatoes & feta).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today’s special: braised rabbit layered with Greek cheeses; wrapped in filo dough & baked to perfection!
Heart 2 Comment 0
And there’s Latin! At Nuestra Cucina: Michael, a server we’ve known for about 20 years, serves up today’s choices.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hers: Sauteed white prawns, mushrooms, onion, chile guajillo paste & mint rice. His: Grilled half chicken, Achiote rub with Yucatan habanero salsa & grilled asparagus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Eva WaltersThanks for the great food photos. Bon voyage!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanI enjoy your journal immensely. I like that it is not tied exclusively to cycling. It's a very good overall journal of your life; a journal you have embarked upon, and stuck with for years now, regardless of the possibility of being an irritant to Jeff, the originator/owner of CycleBlaze. It seems he also sees the value in sometimes not stringently sticking to journaling about biking specifically. I like your journal because life goes on in a variety of ways and is just as interesting and important to tell about as cycling. I'm glad you have always included all these additional aspects of the life of a cyclist.

Have a great tour in Sicily and beyond. It was so good to see you both but of course you and I, Scott, didn't have coffee together enough times. Take care.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierGood luck with your flights! I'm looking forward to your further adventures.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauOne time I stepped into an exact duplicate of my car too. I sat down, made myself comfortable and buckled my seat belt. Everything was normal until the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. Then I looked around and saw some stuff in the car that I didn't recognize. That's the end of my story.

Have a great trip to Sicily. Maybe I'll see you there . . . in my imagination.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersTwo Sicily Cycleblaze journals to follow at the same time. We’ll be following closely and looking forward to some new routes ideas. Have a great tour and we’ll be right behind you in Southern Italy starting May 7 👍
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonBy now you have probably set foot on Italian soil! I hope your flights went smoothly. Welcome!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonWe wish! We’re still waiting to board flight #1 and exhausted already.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonOh, you left (are leaving?) a day later than I thought. Hope you can sleep on the plane.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensLove how you stayed connected to your friends. Excited about our Cycleblaze meetup with you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago