In Termoli (a photo gallery) - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2023

In Termoli (a photo gallery)

As I was just saying, Termoli is our new favorite city in Italy.  Well, my favorite anyway.  I haven’t actually polled the whole team, but I’m pretty sure I’d find consensus.

An old fishing town that’s evolved into a popular seaside resort, Termoli has a wealth of attractions to interest visitors but looks like it must be an exceptional place to live as well.  It’s easy to imagine coming back here some year and using it as a base for week or more.  We’ll get a look at the cycling opportunities here, but first let’s look at its walled, fortified historical center - an intensely colorful place that among other things boasts some of the narrowest alleyways in Europe.   Walking it’s walls and exploring the alleys makes an ideal way to spend an hour or two while you’re waiting for your restaurant to open up.

Corso Nationale, the principal commercial street, is pedestrianized for the last six blocks leading up to the walls of the old city.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Svevo Castle, the symbol of the city, dates back to at least the 13th century but was probably built by the Normans in the 11th.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bob KoreisThe weather station on top seems a bit incongruous at first, but consistent with the layering of cultural architecture in the Mediterranean. People might be surprised at the amount of Norsemen DNA along the Adriatic.

Great shot.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Belvedere Tower, XV century.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsOne of those stair decorations really ought to be a cat, curled up and napping peacefully or at least with all feet and tail all tucked in and settled comfortably while monitoring its surroundings.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsIt continually amazes me how people adapt to living on a steep slope.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesLooks like its barely wide enough for an ass and its cargo. Old old old.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I like this. It makes. Nice counterpart to the bodiless cow from a few days back.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Keith AdamsDuring the early days of the COVID lockdowns I saw a photo of similar composition: a pair of legs clad in fishnet stockings and high heels projecting from a doorway onto an otherwise deserted-looking Italian alleyway. The caption was something to the effect of "Only essential businesses and services remain open."
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
A Trabucco, an old traditional fishing machine of the type used long the southern Adriatic coast.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I was pleased this shot came out in spite of being backlit. It shows how scalloped the long, sandy beach is. I think each of the scallops corresponds to a gap in the breakwater.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Janice BranhamThat is a lovely city. Hopefully the restaurant scene measures up to the surroundings.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kathleen JonesYou made the most of the lovely light.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesWe were really lucky in our timing today, here and on the ride. The next day was overcast and almost foggy.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago