In Minervino Murge: day 2 - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2023

In Minervino Murge: day 2

I awaken early, and while Rachael’s still sleeping I start pulling together an estimate for how much cash we need for the remainder of the tour.  There’s the cost of all the unpaid lodgings ahead, the train from Padua to Bologna (fortunately, we just booked our train north from Puglia a few days ago), food and daily expenses, cash for the taxi to the airport.  We aren’t really budget travelers, and it’s quite a bit of cash we’ll need to pull out of ATM’s.  We’ll start today, of course.

Also, it occurs to me that the fastest way to reduce our outstanding debt is to prepay as much booking as I can while our cards are still alive.  I discuss this with Rachael once she’s up and has some coffee flowing in, and she agrees.  We also talk over how we’re feeling about the fiasco and agree that it’s a significant problem but not fatal - not a reason to think of canceling the tour and going home, for example.  She then leaves for the store and the nearest ATM while I start prepaying bookings.  Only about half of them allow prepayment but it’s better than nothing.  By the time Rachael returns I’m done with all the prepayments possible and have reduced our cash needs by about $2,500.

Rachael comes back quite frustrated.  For one, Minervino is a quite confusing city to navigate.  The heart of the city, the oldest quarter just above where we’re located, is for good reasons referred to locally as the Labyrinth.  For another, the store isn’t well stocked and she’s only partly successful in her shopping spree. For yet another, she’s freezing because it’s cold out and very windy.  Worst of all though, she was unsuccessful at the ATMs.  Both cards were rejected, at two different banks.  So that’s a significant concern.  We’ll try again when we go out together, but without credit cards or access to our debit accounts we really do have a problem.  Our €100 won’t get us very far at all.

Rachael immediately gets back in bed and under the covers to get warmed up, and then after about an hour we leave together on foot.  We have three tasks on the agenda: try again at the ATMs; walk back up to the restaurant to ask again if they’ve seen the wallet; and go to the police station to file a report.  In the meantime, we’ve heard back from our host.  She posted a notice to the community bulletin board, to alert people to the loss and how to report it.  Very helpful!

The ATMs are still a failure.  It’s just as she said - it looks like the banks are prepared to honor the transaction but it’s the card itself that’s being rejected.  Thinking back, she’s not sure she’s used either of them since we arrived in Italy so maybe there’s an overseas block on it or something like that.  We plan to call our banks when we return to find out what the issue is.

Coincidentally, the police station is only two blocks from the restaurant.  We pass it in the way there, consider stopping, but I propose that we go to the restaurant first.  It’s bound to take some time at the police station, but if we’re lucky and the restaurant has the wallet, the stop’s unneeded.

The restaurant is closed.  They aren’t due to open for lunch for another half hour, so it’s not surprising.  I knock on the door but no one answers, so we head down to the police station.  Right before we get there a car stops next to us and the window gets rolled down.  It’s the manager of the restaurant.  He recognizes us from yesterday, tells us they looked further and still didn’t find the wallet, and wishes us luck.  So that’s a dead end.

The experience at the police station is as good as we can hope for, and quite uplifting really - one of those encounters that restores your faith in humanity at a time it could use some restoration.  Three folks help us out: the police officer on duty, who speaks just a bit of English; another city employee we snagged when we couldn’t find anyone at the police station at first; and Giovanna, a very personable young woman who stops in and we gradually come to realize has been brought in as a translator.  Rachael complements Giovanna on her excellent English skills, and she tells us she worked in London as a nanny for half a year, and before that had an American boyfriend.  If it hadn’t been inside the police station I’d have tried to take photos of all three of them.

Our situation was already known to the station when we arrived because of the bulletin our host Angela posted earlier today.  The interview process was very thorough and took around an hour and a half.  Giovanna was frequently consulted by the officer crafting the report, both to obtain information from us and to proofread portions of the report.  I suspect her role in the department is more than as just a translator.

We wrap up at the police station about two.  We thank them all profusely for their help, and they wish us luck and promise they’ll be in touch immediately if there are any developments.  We feel very good from the experience but don’t really feel any more hopeful than when we arrived.

We walk back to the B&B along the same route we biked last night with our eye on the streets and margins, but of course find nothing.  Soon after we’re back Rachael gets out her debit cards in preparation for calling our banks, and suddenly her face drops.  Looking about as crestfallen as I’ve ever seen her, she says they’re both expired.  One expired just at the end of last month (after we arrived in Italy), and the other probably four or five months ago.  She has no theory for how this happened, but it doesn’t matter - our primary strategy for managing the crisis just went up in smoke.

Rachael calls our credit union (for the card that just expired) to explain our situation and find out what is possible.  It’s a lengthy, frustrating conversation, but the short story is that the only option is an expedited delivery of a new card to our home address on file (Elizabeth’s place), where Elizabeth could then potentially have the card express delivered to us somewhere down the road.  Maybe a week?  Oh, and they canceled my card once they learned it’s been lost.

So it’s time to think outside the box a bit.  We call Elizbeth to let her know what’s happening so she can watch for the new card and let us know as soon as it arrives so we can decide what to do next.  Then we call our son Shawn, who is relevant here because we can feed him cash immediately through an account we share.  We’re thinking he could use PayPal to relay us some cash, although we don’t really know how we’d receive it.

Somewhere in here Rachael does some research and discovers Xoom, a money movement app that’s a part of PayPal now.  Maybe we’re the last people around to hear about Xoom, but it sounds like just what we need if we can figure it out.  It allegedly supports cash pickup transfers to thousands of outlets worldwide, including three in Manfredonia where we’ll be in just two days.

Rachael and I spend a frustrating hour trying to figure out Xoom, which doesn’t seem to work exactly the way its documentation and the Vimeo demos show.  Eventually we’re exhausted and hungry, call it a day, and walk up seven or eight flights of ancient, well worn stone and marble stairs to the commercial center and settle in at a pizzeria.  The pizza is good, the price is right, and fortunately they take card payments and our credit cards still work so we don’t have to chip away at our big €100 cash reserve.

There is so much to be chagrined by and regret in this saga, but one is that I feel robbed of the chance to explore Minervino Murge and the adjacent national park.  It’s a place I’ve wanted to see ever since looking down on it from above fifteen years ago.  The only real look I get is when walking to dinner and back, but it’s enough to see what a remarkable place it is.  Labyrinth is right!

Rachael swears she never wants to see this town again, but maybe I can slip over for a longer look some year during our long stay in nearby Gravina; and maybe her attitude will soften in time and she’ll come with me.  In the meantime, here’s a too-quick look at an exceptional place.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 30
Bob DistelbergSo sorry to hear this happened. My fingers are crossed that there's some sort of miraculous return of the wallet. Sounds like you're keeping the credit cards active for now. Hopefully you have a way to monitor for any unauthorized charges?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Zelda MekAnother money transfer option -- PopMoney. I have used with PDX credit union and many kinds of accounts including Canadian (although t&c change). It takes a day or so to verify but might allow you to stay on the tour. And please do stay on the tour! Many of us are living vicariously through your posts.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Zelda MekPopMoney, another tool I’ve never hear of. Cute name too! At this point we’re pretty hopeful about Xoom, which looks like it will be significantly faster assuming it works. We’ll find out tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip, and for still following along. We were just talking with Racpat about Ithaca and what a great place it would be for a longer stay. We’d love to make it back there again some day.

Oh, and I’m pretty sure that the tour is still on. One way or another we’ll manage to get our hands on enough €€€ to see us through.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Janos KerteszKönnen wir euch irgendwie helfen?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
David MathersSo sorry to hear the latest wallet dilemma. Our solution for possible lost items on our upcoming trip is‘Apple Air Tags’. We have one for each bike and one for each wallet. We’ve been testing them locally and great reviews so far. It may be helpful for you going forward. BTW thanks for all the Puglia route exploration you’ve been doing …I’m sure we’ll use some of them! All the best.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott FenwickScott, I have very much enjoyed following along on your and Rachael’s travels for years. Your ability to triumph over touring obstacles is legendary. But your current situation is indeed a big one for sure. As difficult maybe, thanks for sharing. I know that you will both land on your wheels and be rolling soon. Looking forward to the happy ending.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Gregory GarceauI'm still holding out hope that your wallet turns up in the one place you didn't search and that it has never been in anybody else's hands. I admire your rational adaptability to the situation in order to keep the tour going. I think I'd be in too much of a state of panic.

I'm seriously obsessive-compulsive about my wallet and my phone while on tour. While riding, I'm constantly unzipping my handlebar bag to make sure they're in there, and when I'm off the bike, I'm constantly feeling for them in my pants pockets.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Scott FenwickThanks for the encouragement Scott, and as always for following along. It does look like this is turning into just another good story fortunately, but it would be nice if some learning takes place this time.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauFunny. I’m pretty O-C myself about the wallet, phone, camera, glasses and keys myself. I’m also apparently just not too competent about it. I think it’s time to scrap the practice of slipping my wallet into my bike shirt back pocket though, and just zip it away.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo David MathersThanks, Dave. We are talking about looking at air tags, but we’ll have to think about it. How many? For the wallet obviously, but glasses, bike, phone, traveling partner?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergYes, we can monitor all of our accounts, and are doing so probably twice a day. Transactions show up pretty fast, so I think we’d know quickly.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janos KerteszDanke Janos. das ist so nett von dir, deine Hilfe anzubieten. Es sieht jedoch so aus, als ob es uns gut gehen würde. Xoom scheint das Tool für den Job zu sein.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bob DistelbergYes we can monitor them and we are doing it frequently. Also, the credit card company is very good at picking up suspicious activity!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Zelda MekThanks!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo David MathersNo matter what Scott says I do think we need something like this for his wallet. It’s too important! We also need to carry different credit cards not ones that have the same number and cvc code.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Gregory GarceauI’m like you! I’d been in big trouble if I lost my phone, Garmin or money especially because I go out for hikes on my own. I’m definitely looking into getting him an air tag for tracking his wallet but most importantly having him not put his wallet in the back of his shirt.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kelly Iniguez! ! ! Here I am blathering on about multi course dinners and you have a real situation on your hands! You both know how to roll with the punches. We are all wishing you the best outcome.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezThanks, Kelly. It does look like we’re going to come out of this OK, but we’ll know for sure tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kelly IniguezBTW, Jacinto lost his wallet once between the bed and the nightstand - it slid out of his pocket. It wasn't on the floor, it wasn't on the bed, but it was tucked in there nice and tidy. One more possible spot to look.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Tricia GrahamI really feel for you. Our son was in Panama during Covid and lost all his cards. I was able to get money to him fairly easily using Western Union they seem to have pick up places all over the place. Just an idea
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooHang in there you two. Lyle lost his wallet the first day of our 3 week trip to Australia to visit our daughter. Luckily each of us having a different number for our credit card( same account) made it inconvenient but aside from me having to do all the driving .(Which Lyle found more frustrating than me. Lol.)
Having the two different credit cards is a life saver. The air tags sound like a good idea too.
All the best. We are impressed with your creativity.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Betsy EvansI've been enjoying following along on your trip. I'm so sorry about your wallet. Fingers crossed that it turns up.

I'll add another vote for the airtags. Touring last fall in Spain, I had one on my bike, and one in my wallet. One of the airtags was in my checked bag for flying. What I like about the air tags is that you can set it up so that your phone beeps pretty quickly after you leave your wallet/keys/whatever behind - it only takes a few minutes.

I also travel with a spare no-fee credit card - because I was caught out travelling once when the bank cancelled my card because of fraudulent charges. I keep that card separate from my wallet, with a photocopy of my passport.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveReally hoping it's all going to work out somehow! I can sense the collective anxiety on behalf of all your avid followers. You can't go home!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rachael AndersonWe rely on an AirTag in Keith’s wallet even at home. They are terrific. We also had them in the bike boxes and here at home on our keys. They have saved our bacon a few times. We are so sorry this happened. So frustrating and confounding.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenWe are definitely going to start using air tags!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveHow nice of you to say that!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Keith AdamsMore mess! But your hopeful tone gives me hope that you'll come out the far end alright.

Fingers, toes, and anything else crossed that might bring you good luck.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonI carry mine there all the time but never with anything else in the pocket; my wallet in one, phone in another, anything else goes in the third. Some of my jerseys have a zip pocket my little wallet fits in.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rich FrasierI'm reading this a few days late. I've been busy with a family visit. So maybe you've fixed this in the interim. But I'm here and ready to help any way I can. I'll keep reading and hopefully find out how you resolved all this. If not, call me.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierThanks, Rich. It’s humbling that we had so many offers of help on our little dilemma. And you were in the back of our minds if we remained stuck.

And it’s nice to hear from you! Coincidentally I almost emailed you last night to make sure you two were OK when I realized we and no one else had heard from you in the last two weeks.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago