In Mazara del Vallo - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 23, 2023

In Mazara del Vallo

Mazara, one of the most important fishing harbors in Italy, is an ancient place with a complex history.  Founded in the ninth century BC by the Phoenicians, over the following centuries it came under the rule of the Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Vandals, Ostrogoths and Byzantines, all before being occupied by the Arabs in 927.  The heart of the historical city, the Casbah, is Arabic.

We arrived at our apartment at about 1:30, leaving us all afternoon to explore the town.  First things first though: immediately after checking in Rachael rushed out for three errands: to check out a breakfast cafe for the morning, to make a dinner reservation, and to procure a stash of gooey pistachio pastry treats, her birthday present to herself.  Happy birthday, Rocky!

Yum!
Heart 10 Comment 6
Steve Miller/GrampiesHappy Birthday! And many more.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonThanks! They sure have great pastries. The pistachio cream pastries are my favorite.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensHappy birthday greetings from us, love the fortuitous date this year 3-23-23
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachel and Patrick HugensThree primes in a row, a strong milestone for someone in her prime. Happy birthday Rachael!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Janice BranhamThanks. I certainly don’t feel like I’m in my prime but I’m certainly enjoying myself.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensI noticed that also that’s why I had to search out several pistachio pastries!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Afterwards, we set off by ourselves to explore Mazara in our own way.  Rachael went east along the coast, eventually returning after an eight mile walk.  She took very few photos, assuming I’d cover the town well on my excursion.  Her walking plan was thwarted after a few miles when she was stopped at the Ponte Arena bridge, closed for renovation.  It was a stroke of luck that she discovered this today, so we know not to bike that way on our way out of town tomorrow.

Chiesa di San Michele, our landmark in the neighborhood. Our apartment is right behind us.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Undoubtedly an important historical figure.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A appealing variation on an old theme.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I didn’t see this artwork that Rachael photographed, but supposedly it honors the Phoenicians who founded Mazara in the ninth century BC.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Janice BranhamBeautiful shot
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Rachael was wrong though.  I took hardly any photos of the town because I walked west along the waterfront and the mouth of the Mazaro River, anxious to test out my new camera on any birdlife I could find.  Spoiler alert: the camera works great, and I found a few birds.

#122: Black-headed gull. Nice to see this species in its breeding plumage.
Heart 6 Comment 0
#123: Lesser black-backed gull. Similar to the yellow-legged gull (in photos below) but for the darker mantle, longer legs and slimmer beak. The fondness for trash is not a distinguishing characteristic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The mouth of the Mazaro River. Mazara harbors one of the most important fishing fleets in Italy.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I love fishing ports. Their waterfronts are always filled with interest.
Heart 4 Comment 0
#124: Great cormorant
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Scala of Comandante Tommaso Anzaldi. I really like these staircases with painted risers, a feature we’ll see more of in the days ahead.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Eurasian ringnecked dove. We saw this species before, but you’d hardly know it because the photo was so badly blurred.
Heart 3 Comment 0
#125: Barn swallow. We’ve seen hundreds of these, but they never slow down! I finally got a shot by focusing the camera on an area and waiting for a bird to fly into the field of view.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsDoes your camera have the "burst mode" feature? I've not really tried it on mine but from the description this is exactly what it's for. There are a couple of variations, one of which is basically continuous recording of a couple seconds; trip the shutter release once to start, and when you trip it again the last two seconds or so are saved as individual frames. Keep what you want, discard the rest.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYou’re right. It would be. Good use of it, but I never think of it. Thanks for the reminder.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A crowd gathers, waiting for their chance at the fresh catch of the day sold off the dock.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yellow-legged gull, another species we saw before in a much poorer shot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s off to work we go.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsScruffy and utilitarian, not built for aesthetic pleasure and graceful lines.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Shadow pine.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We went out again, together this time, to see the sunset and fill the time until our restaurant opened at 7:30.  We walked past the cathedral and its piazza and then strolled long the long seafront promenade.  I didn’t see this part of the town at all in my walk, and was very impressed.  Mazara is quite attractive and looks like it would make a fine base for a longer stay.

Mazara has a long and stylish lungomare (seaside promenade).
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsUsing the "golden sunset" exposure mode here?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The lungomare is lined with decorative pots like this, which I believe is another homage to the town’s Phoenician origins.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We’re just a little late getting out the door for the best of the sunset.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another set of painted tile risers lead to Piazza Mokarta, one of the principle gathering points in the city.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fountain and sculpture, Piazza Mokarta.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here’s another instance where Rachael’s phone outperforms the zoomer. It has a wider field and handles low light conditions better.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsTried the "city lights after dark" mode on yours? I have yet to try it with mine so I dunno how good it is.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsNope. We use the phone camera the same way we use the Lumix: Push Here, Dummy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We stalled around in front of the cathedral for a few minutes waiting for our restaurant to open.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And the birthday dinner?  A huge success.  We were the only diners, and all courses were excellent; but it’s her birthday, so let’s feature hers this time.  What a great day, top to bottom!

Heart 0 Comment 0
A feast fit for a birthday girl: pistachio encrusted swordfish rolls and grilled vegetables.
Heart 8 Comment 3
Patrick O'HaraHappy B-day Rachel!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettThat dinner looks wonderful and a nice birthday treat! Happy B-day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo marilyn swettThanks. It was a wonderful dinner!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
For dessert: an ice cream cake layered with pistachio and orange. Maybe the prettiest dessert I can remember being served us.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Mr. Moon smiles down on Rocky’s birthday.
Heart 8 Comment 0

____________________

2023 Bird List

122. Black headed gull

123. Lesser Black-backed gull

124. Great cormorant

125. Barn swallow

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rich FrasierI'm a day late, but Happy Birthday, Rachael!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonThat looks like a perfect birthday dinner! Happy Birthday, Rachael!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like you had a happy birthday... Congrats on completing another revolution.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Rich FrasierThanks!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Rich FrasierThanks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltIt was great! Great scenery, pastries and dinner. What more could you ask for!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago