Castellammare del Golfo - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2023

Castellammare del Golfo

A very mixed day, but one we wouldn’t repeat.  On the plus side (in addition to our visit to the cathedral), we found an outstanding route to our destination for the night, Castellammare Del Golfo.  In fact, based on this experience II think Monreale makes a better springboard for biking west than Palermo.  If we ever started a tour in Palermo again, I think I’d skip Palermo itself and just catch the taxi from the airport to Monreale.

The ride began with a six mile climb on SS186.  Not bad, and unavoidable unless you want to sign up for a serious climb through the hills northwest of town.  Traffic was moderate and manageable, but we were happy to reach the summit both to mark the end of the climb and to finally come to the turnoff to a much smaller local road to the coast.  This was a last minute change from our original plan to follow 186 for most of the way to Castellammare.  I looked over the route again this morning, decided 186 was busier than we might want, and looked for improvements.  I found them, for sure.  Our new route added a few miles, but the next fifteen miles were brilliant as we followed a distressed, semi paved and virtually empty road to the coast before following the water for the final ten miles to town.  

On the way back from the cathedral. It’s raining lightly, enough to break out a few bumbershoots, but it will stop by the time we leave our room.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leaving Monreale.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Monreale, we climb west on SS186 for the first six miles of the ride. Not bad, not great.
Heart 3 Comment 0

So what’s not to like?  Well, for one thing look at the photo below.  My zoom camera definitely has a focus problem all of a sudden.  It’s been a wonderful device, until this morning; and now it’s all but unusable, particularly if I’m zooming in on anything.  A complete mystery.  I’ve tried everything I can think of including a factory reset (twice).  So that’s distressing.

On Strada Intercommunale 7, a gorgeous road that deserves much better photos than this.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rachel and Patrick HugensToo (not) funny, my camera got stuck on zoom, but then resolved itself. Patrick thought mine was due to moisture
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It’s hard to overstate how frustrating the camera situation is. Like most of the photos I included here, this is the best of four or five shots I took of this subject. The others were all much worse than this.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Andrea BrownThis almost looks like a tilt-shift photo. I don't suppose there's a setting for that on your camera, is there?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownNo, but thanks for enlightening me. I’d never heard of tilt-shift photography and it was interesting reading up on it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesI was surprised to find that on the ZS-60 digital zoom and what they call iZoom (intelligent zoom) are only selectable if not in iAuto - such as in "P". I assume you have twiddled that top dial lots in looking for something that works. But since you have in the past said that you stick with iA, you would not be getting embroiled now in digital zoom issues.

By the way, not that you want to learn about this stuff now, with the camera on the fritz, I found this on dpreview:

"It’s important to understand the difference between iZoom (IZ), Digital Zoom (DZ) and Extended Optical Zoom (EZ). As I understand it, IZ and DZ are very similar: they both “upsize” a small-size cropped image in-camera to return something with the same pixel count as an un-manipulated image. The same process can be performed – often with better results – in Post Processing by cropping an image down to a smaller pixel count, and then having the PP software re-size it back to the original pixel dimensions. IZ appears to have a better algorithm for this operation, so it gives better results than DZ."
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks, Steve. Yes, I’m generally aware of all of this. Unless I get into the wrong mode by accident (such as by accidentally rotating the control dial when slipping it into my shirt), I avoid all the complexities and keep it exclusively in the iA mode. My theory is that the camera had a stroke and its Izoom is suddenly a little less intelligent. I’m sending the camera back for a CT scan when we return to Portland.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The highlight of the day came on a short stretch of road where we encountered a frisky pair of horses, one of them loose in the road.  We held up for several minutes watching the show, partly because we weren’t sure how safe it would be to bike past.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 13 Comment 1
Graham FinchA valentine card in the waiting
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Finally the loose one left the road and cantered off into the brush, and we quickly made our move.  Almost immediately we’re stopped again though when Rachael squealed with delight at a fenced pasture filled with colorful hogs and piglets.  

Piglets!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
There were many colorful, charming small piglets, nursing and running around squealing. Sadly, none of those photos came out at all.
Heart 0 Comment 0

One other good/bad thing about the day: we’re starting to see a lot of birds, virtually all new for this year: magpies, jays, gulls, chuffs, jackdaws, doves, swallows.  Good, right?  Not if you can’t zoom in enough to get a reasonable shot.  For example, there’s this collared dove that’s reasonably close and would make for a nice shot it the zoom focused correctly.

Trust me, it’s a collared dove.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You can do somewhat better backing off the zoom almost completely, but then you can’t see any detail. #119: Eurasian collared dove.
Heart 0 Comment 0
#120: Eurasian magpie, reputed by some to be the most intelligent of all bird species. And quite beautiful if you get a good close-up shot.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesHow very frustrating for you. Sounds like Steve before he got the new camera. Is your 5 year time to get new camera time up?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI misread this at first and thought you were asking if the warranty was up, so I read up on it. I’ve only had it two months, and it’s still under warranty. I really think something’s wrong with the camera, so I think I’m going to just pack it away and send it in when we get back home.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI expect you use automatic ISO, which will help with zoomed shots and low light. It hasn’t got moved to something fixed and too low, has it?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonPoor you. This has really got to hurt. We do feel your pain.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Really, it’s the death-knell for the bird count unless I can figure out the camera situation.  For now I’ll put the quest on hold because it’s just too frustrating.

Right after the horse and pig show we enjoyed a fantastic serpentine descent, one of those where when you look down the slope you can hardly believe where your road is going.  Worth many good shots, or one or two poor ones just to remind us.

Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at the Spar in Montelepre, picking up cheese, figs and hazelnuts for me, and bread and bresaola for Rachael and then eating at a bench beside a roadside shrine.  And then a few more miles brought us to the coast, and a final ten mile run along the coast rounded out the day.

So the camera definitely put a damper on the day.  What else?  Well, for one, at one point our road took a steep drop to a creek and then rose steeply up the other side.  I was astonished to watch Rachael ahead of me lose momentum on the climb, slow to a crawl, and the somehow pop straight sideways off her bike and land hard on her butt.  I can’t quite figure out how she exited this way, actually.  She’s sore and bruised, but hopefully no worse off than that. 

So that’s two.  For a third, it’s probably time to mention the roadside trash situation in Sicily.  It wasn’t bad when we were here seven years ago, but was much more noticeable on our second tour.  And now it’s really quite dreadful.  It’s really a shame, because so much of the island is over the top beautiful.

And, possibly most ominously of all I had another significant arrythmia episode, one that was really disabling.  It began about in the midpoint of the ride, when we were on the flats and I was taking photos of that stupid collared dove.  Makes no sense.  It was really limping by the end of the ride, even though there were no significant hills remaining.  So that’s bad, and makes us wonder if this whole tour is even viable.  We’ll wait and see, but I can hardly wait to speak with my electrophysiologist next month and see if I can get scheduled for ablation surgery this summer.

Heart 2 Comment 0
This was quite a remarkable, large lemon grove, the ground blanketed in matching flowers.
Heart 11 Comment 1
Janice BranhamDelicious shot
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A railway bridge, west of Castellammare.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We avoided the coast highway for several miles by taking the beach road. It was fine, in the stretches when it was actually a road.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetI think I recognize this!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI’m sure. Blurry or not, we don’t want to forget.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dragging it in.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day ended well though.  After resting in our room for an hour or so I felt recovered enough to go out for a meal.  And, as luck would have it we had company - as you probably knew already, Jacquie and Al are staying here tonight also, so we enjoyed a second meal together.  We ate at a fine waterfront restaurant that they had made reservations for - La Cambusa - and we all ordered the pistachio crusted hake.  You’d think with all four of us selecting and enjoying the same dish there would be food photos to share, wouldn’t you?  Sorry.

Walking back up from the waterfront to our room after dinner. Isn’t it nice to have such a crisp, focused shot? Thank Rachael’s phone for that.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rachel and Patrick HugensTrash, been a problem for a long time. Its terrible out in the Moroccan countryside, like a dump truck turned over, and yet the cities are clean, constantly swept up. We can thank Lady Bird Johnson for beautifying our highways.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Ride stats today: 35 miles, 2,600’; for the tour: 60 miles, 5,300’

____________________

2023 Bird List

     119. Eurasian magpie

     120. Eurasian collared dove 

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 60 miles (97 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 15
Graham FinchShame about the camera. Is it old and clapped out? It's strange how some photos are in focus. Is there any grease on the lens itself?

Hopefully your heart is OK and you feel well again soon.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesOh poor Scott, poor Rachael! Sounds like a frustrating and uncomfortable day in so many respects.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersSorry to hear about camera and garbage issues but really sorry about the arrhythmia’s. Please take care.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenHope things settle down for you Scott! Take it easy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchThe camera is only two months old, is still clean and unblemished and has had a pretty easy life so far. It’s a real mystery. It acts like it forgot how to pick a spot to focus on. The clearest shots are when the zoom is retracted and it’s focusing on the scene as a whole.

I’ve been using this camera (the current one and earlier ones of the same model) since it came out in 2016 and never seen this behavior so I’m thinking it’s defective.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonA distressing day. I hope that was the last of your arrhythmia episodes for a while. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Glad that Rachael's fall wasn't more serious. And that your camera isn't focusing properly is a real bummer. No reserve camera hidden somewhere in the bottom of your bags?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchTo Scott AndersonIt does sound like a fault. The only other thing is you've perhaps accidentaly set the focusing to some weird mode.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonYes, I do have a backup camera just in case. It’s a fine camera, except that it lacks much of a zoom. I’ve decided to buy a new zoom camera as soon as I can find a dealer, and send the other one back to the factory under warranty when we get home.

Surprisingly, there’s an electronics store just a mile from our room in little Salemi that lists this camera (its successor, actually) on their website. We’ll hike over there this morning and hope for the best.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsWow, what a frustrating and potentially discouraging day. As all others have said, here's hoping for rapid and positive resolutions to each of today's issues. Well, except for the trash problem of course: that's not one that's likely to be rectified anytime soon. Then again it's also the one over which you have the least control or ability to influence.

The results of my quick interweb search for LUMIX autofocus issues all had to do with its tendency to focus hunt in video mode, not the problem you're experiencing, so I've got nothing for you. It does indeed sound like replacing the thing (ship the old one home, or direct to Panasonic for evaluation and repair or replacement so you're not lugging it around to no good purpose?) is the best strategy.

Good luck on the arrythmia thing. That's by far the most worrisome.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierI have to admit that I'm worrying about you. Please take it easy. Good call on replacing the camera - the frustration isn't worth it. Maybe tomorrow will be better?

I agree about the trash situation in Sicily. Such a beautiful place - it's a huge shame that they can't get the roadside trash situation under control.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierThanks, Rich. The next day was much better, but we’ll definitely plan on taking it easy where we can. Worst case we can find some bases, hang out and be glad we’re not in damp, chilly Portland.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsJust another thought: can you put the camera in manual focus mode and get it to work? It's kind of a PITA with mine but it does sometimes actually do my bidding when I have it set for that. Sometimes.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYes, I did experiment with that. I can’t say I had any great success with it though. I’m treating the camera as a goner and will send it back in when we return to Portland.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamReally sorry to hear of the arythmia Scott but very pleased to hear you are considering an ablation After it being such a feature of our 2009 cycle trip I had an ablation and never again have I had even a tiny episode and no medication.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia GrahamThanks for the encouragement, Tricia. That’s what my cardiologist said is the most likely outcome also. Looking back now, it’s probably something I should have done years ago but medications have been effective enough until fairly recently.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago