You Just Don’t See That Everyday - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2022

You Just Don’t See That Everyday

I think this picture is looking back west as we were leaving Baker City
Heart 2 Comment 0
Educational opportunity re The Lone Tree of the Oregon Trail
Heart 3 Comment 0
This picture is looking north at the Eagle Cap Mountains as we were riding east to Richland
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonBeautiful but depressing. When we biked a loop of the Wallowas thirty years ago in September there was more snow on top than this.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Here is a small, very small section of the Powder River. It was a great navigation aid.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The cows are coming and they ain’t stopping. Check out the crazy lady in the car that thought she could get around them. No accounting for some peoples’ sensibilities or lack there of. This scene was coming into Richland, OR
Heart 6 Comment 1
Enid MeadowsThis pic is hilarious! Moooove over!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This picture is looking back down the pass road out of Richland into the valley and at the reservoir.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The green machine made it to the top of the pass.
Heart 6 Comment 0
51 miles in and I finally found the farm house I was looking for. And don’t miss the scenery in the background. By the way, this was on the outskirts of Halfway, OR
Heart 4 Comment 1
Enid MeadowsBeautiful (and the flag)!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
No bloody idea what this is…maybe you can tell us???
Heart 5 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltAntique wigwam logging burner.

http://columbiariverimages.com/Regions/Places/wigwam_burner.html
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian GordonThanks Bill. Would have never guessed that.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Ian GordonYou’re lucky to have seen this one, because they’re scarce now. There’s another one still standing in Seneca, south of John Day, that we saw two years back. When I was growing up you saw them everywhere in logging country, belching away and smoking up the sky.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today was our next to last day riding and sleeping in Oregon.  Fortunately we got an early start and beat some of the heat. We pretty much descended into Richland then climbed a big mountain pass (1,400 feet of elevation over about 6.5 miles) and then descended again, this time into Halfway. Now I know what you’re thinking…wow these guys are halfway done!  No, the town is called Halfway, OR and I don’t know what it’s halfway to or from. Maybe google can help you. 

So why today’s title?  Well first there was this guy in a pickup truck. Not unusual out in this part of the country. But what was shocking was, he didn’t flip us off, he didn’t honk at us, he didn’t try to run us off the road…he stopped and offered us some bottled water.  How cool is that?  Next was the scene riding into Richland. There was a stampede of cows coming down the road…both sides!  Of course since the cows had numbers over Dan and I, we mooooved (sorry couldn’t resist). 

In Richland we had a really good breakfast and met another rider heading east. Best conversation though was with Stephanie our waitress (former restaurant owner and now educator in the local school system). She left town to go to school and work I. The city, but then came back to her roots. 

I think we’re finally done or at least close to being done chasing the Powder River. We’ve seriously been following it for about 50 miles. Not sure but we think it ties into the reservoir tomorrow and maybe the Snake River.   Goodbye good friend and thanks for the navigation support. 

For today there is an educational picture or two as well as a barn. It took 51 miles of a 55 mile ride to find a good barn. And then there is a picture of something. Very descriptive I know. If you know what it is, please educate all of us. 

 Night All. We need sleep as tomorrow is a 76 mile day with one really, really long and steep climb. Idaho here we come. Please refrain from “i da ho no you da ho” jokes 😉

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 3,912 miles (6,296 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Michele GordonLove the cows and of course the picture of the barn …..hey not to upset you but your mileage today isn’t cumulative ??? It’s as if ya started today ???? We know better 😉
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gary NuttI have seen a structure like the big, black funnel shaped structure in an old lumber mill. The one I saw was used to burn wood scraps. (google "wood chip burner in an old lumber mill" for some pictures of similar structures.)

It sounds like you may be planning to stop in Weiser, ID tomorrow night. Two notes: (1) locals pronounce it like Weezer, despite the "ei" following the W. (2) One of many national fiddle championships is held in Weiser in late June; you just missed it. :-)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago